Desktop not powering on

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
My desktop in my signature is not powering on. I have tried changing the cables which are working fine as monitor is turning on but the Cabinet is not turning on.
What to do?

K_akash_i

In the zone
Most likely the PSUs problem, first chech if your power supply unit is turned on and is working. If not u might need to get a new psu

Last edited:

K_akash_i

In the zone
If it's connected to the mobo, the fan should spin , as well as the cpu fan once u try to turn the pc on.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
At a very basic it could be faulty power on button on cabinet! Just swap Power & Reset connectors on mobo and check again using Reset button as power on.

Reconnect all PSU cables again.
Use PSU paperclip test and check if PSU starts or not as a standalone device. If it does not, it’s clearly faulty. Check net if you do not know how to do paperclip test.

If it does power on, it could mean either faulty mobo circuit or may be that PSU is now no longer taking the load of the system. Start with minimum components and check again.
To test PSU/Mobo, you need another healthy PSU.

Last edited:
OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
At a very basic it could be faulty power on button on cabinet! Just swap Power & Reset connectors on mobo and check again using Reset button as power on.

Reconnect all PSU cables again.
Use PSU paperclip test and check if PSU starts or not as a standalone device. If it does not, it’s clearly faulty. Check net if you do not know how to do paperclip test.

If it does power on, it could mean either faulty mobo circuit or may be that PSU is now no longer taking the load of the system. Start with minimum components and check again.
To test PSU/Mobo, you need another healthy PSU.
Swapped the power and reset buttons but nothing happened.
Reconnected all cables but nothing happened.
For the psu paperclip test I didn’t had a paperclip but i used the rings on a small keychain and moulded it almost into the shape of a paperclip and just when i was about to quit testing since the almost moulded ring wouldn’t do anything i saw the cabinet LEDs light up along with a fan confirming that psu is ok.

Now what should i do?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
So it seems now you have a system that just powers on but does not POST anything on monitor?
Re-seat RAM, GPU, Storage etc. Turn off the PC from Mains and long press Power on button for 30 - 40 seconds to remove any static charges on the board and retry.

If above does not work, clear CMOS by shorting the RST CMOS pins on the mobo for 10 - 15 seconds. However when you do that make sure Mains supply to PSU is OFF.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
So it seems now you have a system that just powers on but does not POST anything on monitor?
Re-seat RAM, GPU, Storage etc. Turn off the PC from Mains and long press Power on button for 30 - 40 seconds to remove any static charges on the board and retry.

If above does not work, clear CMOS by shorting the RST CMOS pins on the mobo for 10 - 15 seconds. However when you do that make sure Mains supply to PSU is OFF.
Followed the above steps but nothing happened. Computer will not power on.

Attachments

• IMG_9229.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

patkim

Cyborg Agent
You need another healthy PSU to test it out. If basic troubleshooting has not helped, consider taking it to nearby repair center. The guy over there is likely to have spares to quickly identify faulty part.

Top Bottom