DESKTOP & LAPTOP network connection

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
i have a router Archer c6

My desktop is connected through ETHERNET with that router.

My laptop is connected through wifi with that router.

Both the systems are under same domain say "DOMAIN" with different computer name.

i have Turned on Network discovery for both under - Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

But still cannot find the laptop name in Desktop Network. Only the router name Archerc6 is showing

Any suggestion ?

1669573282524.png

It is not as straight forward as you might want it to be, still try the first step or get a LAN/FTP software:
5 Easy Ways to Transfer Files Between Computers on the Same Network

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It is not as straight forward as you might want it to be, still try the first step or get a LAN/FTP software:
Though I haven't tried first hand, I have been in an assumption that it could be done when all the computers are in the same network and workgroup and we can view the shared folders and files with simple LAN cable connection or over WiFi.

khalil1210

In the zone
I think only shared folder will be visible under Network tab.

In Laptop
Select some folder which you want to share and right click properties -> go to sharing tab -> Click on share -> In choose people to share -> Select Everyone and give Permission Level ( Read ).

Now go to network tab in your laptop, you should be able view computer icon with your host name.

Open this folder you will see your shared folders.

In Desktop
Try to open network tab to see if the laptop folder is visible.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I think only shared folder will be visible under Network tab.

In Laptop
Select some folder which you want to share and right click properties -> go to sharing tab -> Click on share -> In choose people to share -> Select Everyone and give Permission Level ( Read ).

Now go to network tab in your laptop, you should be able view computer icon with your host name.

Open this folder you will see your shared folders.

In Desktop
Try to open network tab to see if the laptop folder is visible.
nothing comes

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Though I haven't tried first hand, I have been in an assumption that it could be done when all the computers are in the same network and workgroup and we can view the shared folders and files with simple LAN cable connection or over WiFi.
already in same net work and same workgroup

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
1st step done successfully. Though it is not the conventional way we see shared drives of other computer in Network Tab

nac

Aspiring Novelist
already in same net work and same workgroup
I tried and my assumption is right. Just put the PCs in the same workgroup (they were already in the same network/sharing the same internet connection) and restarted and under network I could see the other PCs.

khalil1210

In the zone
You can try this

*www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html

Do you have different username for your laptop and pc?

You can check this by running "hostname" in cmd
1669736765358.png

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
Is the router isolating clients or something? Could also be some sort of firewall issue.
doubting that kept off all the fire walls.
In both PC and laptop i have enabled "insecure guest logon" from gpedit.msc , kept on some services. Now it is showing. Thanks gentlemen

Top Bottom