D2H HD STB - 1080p setting reverts to 720p.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I recently got my Videocon D2H SD STB replaced by HD STB (V-5004 HD) model. I have Philips LCD 4000 series full HD (FHD) TV supporting 1080p on HDMI v1.3.
The possible options in STB settings are 720p, 1080p & 1080i. I have set it to 1080p.

However, if there’s a slight delay in starting TV or switching to its HDMI port, (i.e. if STB boots first before TV) then the STB resolution reverts to 720p and I have to manually set it back to 1080p in STB settings. No issues if I start the TV first or switch to TV’s HDMI port first or start both TV & STB simultaneously. I believe this is ‘Handshake’ issue, my guess is that since STB does not find any response from TV’s HDMI, it defaults to a safer 720p.

I raised a request with D2H and the engineer who visited my place after a telephonic discussion with 2 more seniors informed me that this is old LCD TV problem and this issue does not occur in newer LED TVs! So they acknowledged the issue but blamed it on my LCD TV.

I needed a LED FHD TV for testing so I went to a nearby TV Repair shop and requested for help in testing, but the guy did not understand the issue, so I gave up on him. Looks like he had no idea what 720p & 1080p I was talking about!

Do you have any idea if what the D2H technical team is claiming is true? Could it be that it's a limitation of HDMI v1.3 (regardless of LCD/LED) on my TV which is relatively old?

I have written to D2H nodal officer Maharashtra, informing them about not disclosing this hidden limitation (if so true) and would there be any software solution possible, but so far there’s no response.
Thanks for reading.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I recently got my Videocon D2H SD STB replaced by HD STB (V-5004 HD) model. I have Philips LCD 4000 series full HD (FHD) TV supporting 1080p on HDMI v1.3.
The possible options in STB settings are 720p, 1080p & 1080i. I have set it to 1080p.

However, if there’s a slight delay in starting TV or switching to its HDMI port, (i.e. if STB boots first before TV) then the STB resolution reverts to 720p and I have to manually set it back to 1080p in STB settings. No issues if I start the TV first or switch to TV’s HDMI port first or start both TV & STB simultaneously. I believe this is ‘Handshake’ issue, my guess is that since STB does not find any response from TV’s HDMI, it defaults to a safer 720p.

I raised a request with D2H and the engineer who visited my place after a telephonic discussion with 2 more seniors informed me that this is old LCD TV problem and this issue does not occur in newer LED TVs! So they acknowledged the issue but blamed it on my LCD TV.

I needed a LED FHD TV for testing so I went to a nearby TV Repair shop and requested for help in testing, but the guy did not understand the issue, so I gave up on him. Looks like he had no idea what 720p & 1080p I was talking about!

Do you have any idea if what the D2H technical team is claiming is true? Could it be that it's a limitation of HDMI v1.3 (regardless of LCD/LED) on my TV which is relatively old?

I have written to D2H nodal officer Maharashtra, informing them about not disclosing this hidden limitation (if so true) and would there be any software solution possible, but so far there’s no response.
Thanks for reading.

How much old is your tv? My LG LED tv from 2011 does not have any such issues. I am using Tata sky binge with it.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
TV was purchased sometime in 2012. It's LCD not LED and as mentioned, D2H says the issue is only with LCD TVs!

TV was purchased sometime in 2012. It's LCD not LED and as mentioned, D2H says the issue is only with LCD TVs!
Only true LED TVs are OLED TVs. Those LED TVs just use LEDs for backlighting. Might be a case of support guys putting blame on you to avoid changing STB.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philips/Videocon LCD/LED(basically they both use same technology only LED is newer/better variant) have some weird software issues in my experience. I had an old Philips LED TV from 2014 which could never play audio on HD channels via its inbuilt videocon DTH connection. I am guessing your TV software is unable to synchronize the handshake with even a small delay & it is the TV which probably fails to relay HDCP signal to STB resulting in copyright protection of HDCP kicking in & downgrading the resolution to 720p but once TV software is fully functional it sends a correct HDCP compliant signal to STB which is why you are able to change the resolution to 1080p.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
That's what I suspect so hence I mentioned about handshake in my first post. Once 720 it stays at 720 and does not attempt to renegotiate again. I will ask for possible Software implementation but I suspect if there’s anyone listening in D2H.
My next task is going to be looking for rented TV LED FHD for a month and test it again, if then also it falls to 720 then I will reopen the case.
Yet the assertion with which 3 senior executives in D2H acknowledged the issue but blamed it directly on LCD TV and claimed that LED TVs don’t have this issue baffles me! They even said that they know this as known issue.
Will post outcome of my experiments soon once I get a chance to use some other FHD TV for testing.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
That's what I suspect so hence I mentioned about handshake in my first post. Once 720 it stays at 720 and does not attempt to renegotiate again. I will ask for possible Software implementation but I suspect if there’s anyone listening in D2H.
My next task is going to be looking for rented TV LED FHD for a month and test it again, if then also it falls to 720 then I will reopen the case.
Yet the assertion with which 3 senior executives in D2H acknowledged the issue but blamed it directly on LCD TV and claimed that LED TVs don’t have this issue baffles me! They even said that they know this as known issue.
Will post outcome of my experiments soon once I get a chance to use some other FHD TV for testing.

Did you check for firmware updates if phillips provide any? LG gave an update for fixing soundbar problem.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Model discontinued long back and there's no user level operation for firmware update possible, nor Philips ever mentioned any such option under product page when it was available probably until 2013 or so.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Returning to this thread after a while. I asked a nearby rental service if they could rent me an FHD LED TV for a few days but they said I will have to pay minimum 1.5K for this rental. In 1.5K I can buy a new connection from different provider, so I dropped that plan.

I insisted to D2H for testing with another STB that after repeated insistence from my side, D2H agreed but that did not help. Even with another STB the issue was present.

All I suspected is a handshake issue. Issue might have been in the TV as it’s old with HDMI 1.3 whereas today we have HDMI 2.0 or 2.1, I guess. Still enough testing was not done. Then I just thought of again escalating the matter to some senior technicians thru nodal officer, who just noted my concern. Don’t know if they passed it on to the software development team but finally yesterday the STB has automatically upgraded its software from 1.7 to 1.8 and in v1.8 of their software this issue is not present.

Now I can switch on the STB first and even if I switch on TV after 5 minutes or switch to STB connected HDMI Port later, when both handshake, it correctly resolves to 1080p. Either on purpose or inadvertently but issue is now fixed in v1.8 of the STB software. Thank you all for your inputs.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Then the issue must be in firmware of SB, Which many people would have faced and complained like you. Finally its resolved through software.

Top Bottom