Customization Suggestion for Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Maniparet

Right off the assembly line
Hi All. I am going to buy Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop. The lenovo site is providing customization options for SSD, Ram and graphics card (RTX 3060 or 3070 TGP is 130 or 149 i think). Im going to use for gaming and 3d modelling/animation (blender). Currently my mind is set at 3070 and storage 1TB SSD. My problem is with Ram. With other two options pushing my budget to limit i am stuck with 16 gb ram. As per the listing the 16 GB comes with 2*8 config and have 2 slots for this model. In future i may upgrade ram so i have few queries.

1. Does it have any performance impact if i opt for a 16 gb single stick and later buy another 16 gb to upgrade to 32 GB ?(i have heard of single channel dual channel performance impact but not sure how far it affects or anything technical about it)

2. If it stay with 2*8 option itself; if i buy a 16 GB single stick to upgrade (16 gb in one slot and 8gb in another slot so total 24 gb. I know one 8gb stick will be wasted). will this have a performance impact?

3. I saw a video claiming that the ram that comes with Legion 5 pro is a bottleneck and if i change the ram type (im guessing frequency) it will have better performance. So if would prefer some suggestion on this as well since i could not find that video again

4. This is a more general query, if some how my ssd gets damages how would i get my windows OS back as now a days we never get OS cd. Do i need to buy separate OS again or do companies give key for the OS?

Note : Not relevant but just to put things in perspective , my current laptop is Lenovo legion y520 with i7 and GTX1050. I need laptop itself since i travel a lot and hence cant go for Desktop.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
1. Yes, but I dont think rendering would be a bottleneck as it is usually GPU heavy. GPU Heavy tasks have less bottleneck.
2. of that 16 GB stick, 8 GB will run in dual channel and remaining 8 GB will run in single channel. Atleast thats what happens in desktops, i dk if its the same for this laptop.
3. Yes the included ram is 1Rx16, Jarrod replaced with 1Rx8 (memory chips on both sides of RAM) and got ~10 % performance boost in 1200p
4. I m not 100% sure but I think, your OS is registered to your email id. If you login via your email, it should self activate. Maybe others can provide better answers.

OP
M

Maniparet

1. Yes, but I dont think rendering would be a bottleneck as it is usually GPU heavy. GPU Heavy tasks have less bottleneck.
2. of that 16 GB stick, 8 GB will run in dual channel and remaining 8 GB will run in single channel. Atleast thats what happens in desktops, i dk if its the same for this laptop.
3. Yes the included ram is 1Rx16, Jarrod replaced with 1Rx8 (memory chips on both sides of RAM) and got ~10 % performance boost in 1200p
4. I m not 100% sure but I think, your OS is registered to your email id. If you login via your email, it should self activate. Maybe others can provide better answers.
Thanks for the response :smile:. So i think i will go with 2*8 gb sticks for now. And while upgrading will try to find a compatible 1Rx8 ram for 16 or 32 gb accordingly. Can u refer to any link that details on choosing the 1Rx8 ram for this lenovo legion pro laptop? Or any suggessions on which one to look for?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I have a very similar requirement and its not very straightforward.
The exact same model of RAM that jarrod used isnt available in India.
The indian version is this -> Amazon.in: Buy Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 Laptop Memory CT8G4SFRA32A Online at Low Prices in India | Crucial Reviews & Ratings

But based on the amazon pictures alone, it seems like 1Rx16, all chips on one side. But take a look at the customer pics those who have purchased, that tells a different story, it being 1Rx8.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 2.56.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 2.55.56 PM.png
Nobody posted zentimings so its hard to compare with the RAM that jarrod has.

Sorry I cant help you with this, you need to research on r/IndianGaming or r/lenovo or discord groups that deal with

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
16 gb in one slot and 8gb in another slot
Never do this.
This is a more general query, if some how my ssd gets damages how would i get my windows OS back as now a days we never get OS cd. Do i need to buy separate OS again or do companies give key for the OS
Windows 10 activation is linked to hardware and you can login with your Microsoft account to get it linked permanently with your account.

1. About 10-15% effect to gaming fps, not so much difference in productivity stuff for 1x16GB vs 2x8GB. There are many videos online.

2. Avoid 16+8 config

4. Laptops with pre-installed Win10 has key hardcoded in BIOS, I think, so a Win10 installation will read that.

OP
M

Maniparet

I have a very similar requirement and its not very straightforward.
The exact same model of RAM that jarrod used isnt available in India.
The indian version is this -> Amazon.in: Buy Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 Laptop Memory CT8G4SFRA32A Online at Low Prices in India | Crucial Reviews & Ratings

But based on the amazon pictures alone, it seems like 1Rx16, all chips on one side. But take a look at the customer pics those who have purchased, that tells a different story, it being 1Rx8.

Nobody posted zentimings so its hard to compare with the RAM that jarrod has.

Sorry I cant help you with this, you need to research on r/IndianGaming or r/lenovo or discord groups that deal with
Thanks for ur input. Will do a research on it. I never knew even similar memory capacity ram had differences like these. Atleast if the manufacturers provided these details or atleast an option to customize with better performing ram would have been better.

Thanks for ur input. Will do a research on it. I never knew even similar memory capacity ram had differences like these. Atleast if the manufacturers provided these details or atleast an option to customize with better performing ram would have been better.
BTW this issue is not present if you buy 2x16GB, as those are not found in the lower config usually.

Silicon shortage has affected stuff.

Top Bottom