Connection issues

Cruzy

Journeyman
Can someone tell me how play games via wlan between laptops running win 7 and win 8.1 Coz using the ad hoc method of win 7 does not work and connectify also works for a limited time. Any ideas world be appreciated.

gameranand

Living to Play
In these games Ad Hoc connection has worked fine for me so far. Dunno why you are having problems with this.
Also for Win 8.1 you can use command line to make hotspot and see if that works.

gameranand

Living to Play
How to Create a Wireless Ad Hoc in Windows 8.1
How to Create and Connect to Ad-hoc Network in Windows 8/8.1

These should help.
Yes I have Win 8.1 as well but I am a desktop user unlike you.

OP
C

Cruzy

Journeyman
I need it for creating wlan connection to play games locally and not for sharing a connection [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION]

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You don't need a hotspot software for creating ad hoc connections.

First of all set up an IP address on the adapters on both machines.

In case you don't know how to do this (for Windows 7, don't know for Windows 8 yet), go to Network And Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click on your wifi adapter > Click Properties > Double click "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" > Select "Use the following IP address" > Enter the following :

IP Address : 192.168.0.XXX (XXX is any number between 1 and 255)

Click on the Subnet Mask field once and it should automatically populate with 255.255.255.0

Click Ok and Ok.

Repeat the same for the other machine but set a different IP address i.e. different value for XXX above.

Now create a new ad hoc connection on one of the machines and connect to this network using the other machine.

Once connection is done, open "cmd" on one of the machines and ping the other machine's IP address (ping 192.168.0.XXX). If you get a response, that means your connection is working and you can now host and play.

Edit: I don't know the procedure for Windows 8, i.e. whether its the same or not. I don't use Windows 8 but I think the procedure should be the same. You just need to find out where you can change the adapter settings.

OP
C

Cruzy

Journeyman
Not exactly Ad hoc but like a hotspot software which allows say a windows 8.1 laptop to create a hotspot and allows other windows 8.1 and 7 laptops to join the hotspot and be able to play lan games

Top Bottom