Config for buying in Jan 2021

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans:
Will be using this for Programming, Heavy-duty Browsing, running Virtual Machines(only 1 VM active at a time), Video Editing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 40k. Can go to 50k if really needed.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 + Ubuntu

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB SSD. Have a 2TB WD HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No. Already have an old Dell 21.5” IPS Full HD 1920x1080 monitor. 27” monitor to be bought in the future after present monitor dies.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, HDD, KB, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Jan 2021

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No. Will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mangalore

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
The build should boot the OS quickly and have fast data transfer speed.
Will remain on for ~16 hours a day.

Prefer motherboard with WIFI.
High-quality audio and video are a must.
Not much demanding games as of now.

Should have support for 27” monitor to be bought in the future after present monitor dies. Considering all this, is a discrete graphics card needed?

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Better get Wifi dongle and use it.
Though video editing could use dGPU, I would go with 4650G coz of the limited budget. But, if you have gaming in mind, it's better to go with dGPU - Ryzen 3100 build.

46k~...............| 50k
Ryzen 4650G....| Ryzen 3100
B550M Pro4.....| B450M Pro4
............................... 1650S

2 x 8GB DDR4 3600mhz
CX450
SilverStone FARA R1 or cabinet of your choice
A2000 500GB

No gaming rig, can add a 15-20k GPU later:
CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15.5k (not 10400F, that lacks iGPU)

Mobo - MSI H410M Pro-VH - 5.6k (it has 1x M.2 SSD slot)

RAM - 1x16GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 5k*

GPU - iGPU

SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 - 5k

HDD - Your 2TB

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k

Cabinet - Corsair SPEC 01 or other mid-tower ATX - 3k

Monitor - Yours

Total - 37.6k

Accessory - USB WiFi Dongle 2.4/5GHz - ₹500/1000 (TP-Link/D-Link)

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666. Add a second 16GB later, just 2 RAM slots in the mobo.

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
@omega44-xt
Thanks for the config suggestion. Before placing an order I want to clarify some points.

#1 Is it ok to buy any H410M mobo or is the MSI one you suggest better in some way? From say asrock, asus or gigabyte - all similarly priced. How about after sales service of MSI?
#2 How fast do you think the config will boot up Windows10 64b from power on? I'm asking as my present system takes 15 seconds just to sound the POST beep, then another 15 secs to hand it over to the OS. This is not becoz it's old, it has been so since it was new.
#3 Will it support 27" / 4k monitor? It appears so going through the CPU/mobo specs but I just want a thumbs up for this.
#4 Why is wifi dongle preferred over inbuilt support on mobo?

@omega44-xt
Thanks for the config suggestion. Before placing an order I want to clarify some points.

#1 Is it ok to buy any H410M mobo or is the MSI one you suggest better in some way? From say asrock, asus or gigabyte - all similarly priced. How about after sales service of MSI?
#2 How fast do you think the config will boot up Windows10 64b from power on? I'm asking as my present system takes 15 seconds just to sound the POST beep, then another 15 secs to hand it over to the OS. This is not becoz it's old, it has been so since it was new.
#3 Will it support 27" / 4k monitor? It appears so going through the CPU/mobo specs but I just want a thumbs up for this.
#4 Why is wifi dongle preferred over inbuilt support on mobo?
1. In a way any H410 will do, just make sure it has a M.2 slot, 2x RAM slots & decent port selection. MSI after sales have had complaints in the past, but they seem to be improving. Generally they make pretty good mobos for the price these days since mid 2020 esp. Suggested H410 to save costs.

2. 20-40s is a good estimate with SSD, depends on background apps on startup, etc.

3. It should support 4K 60Hz with iGPU

4. Because mobos with inbuilt WiFi are generally expensive. If you are not gaming, a dongle is enough. If you are gaming online in future, wired is the way to go. Get MSI B460M Pro VDH WiFi for 10k of you want WiFi, 2x M.2 slots & 4x RAM slots.

@omega44-xt

Will there be noticeable drop in performance if I replace i5 10400 with i3 10100?
Yes, 4c/8t vs 6c/12t for same architecture is a big difference. It will also be noticeable for gaming also with good GPU, in games like Cyberpunk 2077, a 4 core CPU has a lot of fps drops which ruins the experience. If you can afford the i5, get it. I already cut components costs in many other places in the rig suggested earlier, like mobo, PSU & cabinet.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

Are these online stores reliable? Have you dealt with them? How do they handle warranty issues later on?
Local stores are quoting 45k for config you suggested which is available for 39k online.

Are these online stores reliable? Have you dealt with them? How do they handle warranty issues later on?
Local stores are quoting 45k for config you suggested which is available for 39k online.
Yes
No
Warranty is always handled by manufacturer, they have warranty partners.

I think those stores add some shipping charges as well. Also, local guy will likely build the PC for you for free vs building it on your own if bought online.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -52.2k (AMD APU RIG)

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G -17.3k
Motherboard -Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 AC -13.3k
RAM -G.Skill SniperX 16GB(8GBx2) 3600Mhz -6.2k
SSD -Kingston A2000 500GB NVME SSD -5.4k
Power Supply -Corsair CV550 550W 80+ Bronze -4.1k
Cabinet -Antec NX200 RGB -2.7k
UPS - APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN 600VA -3.2k (amazon.in)

Total -52.2K

All above prices are taken from Primeabgb.com unless specified otherwise.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
No gaming rig, can add a 15-20k GPU later:
CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 15.5k (not 10400F, that lacks iGPU)

Mobo - MSI H410M Pro-VH - 5.6k (it has 1x M.2 SSD slot)

RAM - 1x16GB DDR4 2666+MHz - 5k*

GPU - iGPU

SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 - 5k

HDD - Your 2TB

PSU - Gigabyte P550B 80+ Bronze - 3.5k

Cabinet - Corsair SPEC 01 or other mid-tower ATX - 3k

Monitor - Yours

Total - 37.6k

Due to various reasons I could not buy in Jan. Will buy this month end.

You have suggested Gigabyte 550 watt SMPS. Since it has 3yr warranty I am looking at Cooler Master MWE 450 which has 5yr warranty. Should I go for CM MWE?
How much watt SMPS do I need to buy for the config you suggested? As per online wattage calculators it comes to ~270w. Is 450 sufficient? Anything else about SMPS to be kept in mind?

Due to various reasons I could not buy in Jan. Will buy this month end.

You have suggested Gigabyte 550 watt SMPS. Since it has 3yr warranty I am looking at Cooler Master MWE 450 which has 5yr warranty. Should I go for CM MWE?
How much watt SMPS do I need to buy for the config you suggested? As per online wattage calculators it comes to ~270w. Is 450 sufficient? Anything else about SMPS to be kept in mind?
PSUs don't have 100% efficiency & efficiency also varies acc. to load on it. I think PSU runs at its optimum efficiency at 60% of rated capacity or something like that. Unless electric rates are too high usually no point worrying about it. I suggested 550W to keep headroom for future upgrades, like say a new GPU in future if you felt like it. Otherwise, 450W is surely more than enough for that rig, just get an 80+ bronze PSU, not white, for quality reasons.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Today I got the Intel configuration suggested by @omega44-xt from a local dealer

Initially it was working fine but now in the night it does not start if started within a few minutes after shutting down. i have to wait for about 20 minutes and then start it to start normally. Any idea what could be the problem?

Today I got the Intel configuration suggested by @omega44-xt from a local dealer

Initially it was working fine but now in the night it does not start if started within a few minutes after shutting down. i have to wait for about 20 minutes and then start it to start normally. Any idea what could be the problem?
That's strange. Did you power it down completely before trying again? As in cut off PSU power & then power it back on after a few sec.

Maybe ask the local guy as well, from whom you bought & assembled the PC.

Top Bottom