Cheap, power efficient graphic card for home desktop with casual gaming at 1080p

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am planning to buy a basic graphics card for 1080p gaming (30 fps is alright I feel) at low power consumption. I need the graphics card not to go out of support in the next 3 years at least. I would also like the card to be smaller in physical size if possible.

I have been looking at RX6600 cards and prices have been stable at around 20 K for nearly a year now. The next generation cards seem to consume far more power without giving a very much significant increase in performance.

What would you suggest? Current options seem to be ASRock, ASUS mainly with ASRock being cheaper. With my setup given below can the power supply manage this card?

QUESTIONNAIRE

1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Home desktop for browsing, reading, entertainment with little bit of casual gaming, fps more but no death battle type gaming.

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Corsair RM550x.

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: Rs. 25 K.

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080p.

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans: AMD 2200G CPU (planning to buy 5700G), 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB SSD, 3 HDDs, Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, FHD IPS monitor (planning to get a FreeSync IPS monitor soon)

3060 12GB should be good. PS5's GPU is more powerful than this, so it is moving towards obsolence. You need something more powerful than RX 7600 or 4060 for some future proofing. Honestly, don't worry too much about future proofing for your budget. Upgrade your rig after 3 years if you want more performance.

Buy R5 5600 instead of 5700G as iGPU ones have cut down cache, thus affecting gaming performance. Another 2x 8GB RAM will also help in some newer games. Get a decent 1080p 165Hz freesync monitor for sure.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am not considering nVidia options. I plan to stick with AMD as much as possible.

The games I play are usually 2 - 5 years old anyway so it should be OK for sometime. I am quite concerned about power consumption though hence planning to stick with RX6600.

Can the PSU theoretically hold up for RX7600?

I am not considering nVidia options. I plan to stick with AMD as much as possible.

The games I play are usually 2 - 5 years old anyway so it should be OK for sometime. I am quite concerned about power consumption though hence planning to stick with RX6600.

Can the PSU theoretically hold up for RX7600?
RX 7600 is a poor value - if you are an AMD fan boy, go ahead.

Yes, 550W should be fine with R5 5600 + 7600. Undervolting will help you as well, so explore that.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have read some posts about undervolting reducing power demand. Hopefully I can get it to where I am comfortable else I might just go with RX6600.

I have read some posts about undervolting reducing power demand. Hopefully I can get it to where I am comfortable else I might just go with RX6600.
Just watch some videos on how to undervolt, they will also inform why UV is such a good thing to do. Be prepared to do trial & errors to get stable UV

Top Bottom