Buying New graphics card - GTX 760 or better

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
1. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Corsair Tx 750

2. What is your budget?
Ans: 25000

3. Which resolution will you game at?
Ans: 1920 * 1080

4. What are your current computer specifications?
Ans: i5 2500, ASUS P8Z68 V Pro Gen 3, 8GB RAM

5. How/When will I buy
Ans: From shop, I will not buy online. probably next weekend

6. Size of Graphics Card
Ans: Has to be 9in (230mm) or lesser or it won't fit in my Cabinet.

or should I look for a new cabinet and get a graphics card that fits in ( I can increase budget by 3K if this is the better option in the long run) ? Though I am trying to avoid this option for now If I can get a good one that fits my cabinet.

Right now this is the one that fits my bill, But I still have the budget to buy a better option.

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 AMP Edition 2 GB Graphics Card - ZOTAC : Flipkart.com

This one looks nice, but it won't fit in my cabinet. Same with all other GTX 770 models.

MSI NVIDIA N770 TF 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - MSI : Flipkart.com

Any suggestions that fit my criteria ?
Thanks.

Zotac GTX770 2 GB will be best but unforunately the dimensions of the card are not available on the manufacturer website. Maybe you can send them an email requesting the information.

sniperz1

Journeyman
I suggest you better wait for sometime till the launch of new GPU's in indian market. Nvidia GPU cards prices have been slashed too. It will take time to hit them in Indian market though. Maybe a month or so.

Also the new GTX 900 series is about to be launched soon
MSI Teases New GTX 970 Graphics Card
This might further lower down the prices of the current cards.

Amongst the current lot I would suggest Sapphire R9 280X Toxic or ZOTAC GTX 770
snapdeal.com/product/sapphire-toxic-r9-280x-3g/1820538848

R9 280X does have more vram 3gb as compared to gtx 770 2gb
R9 280X other variants like dual x can come as cheap as 20k

Check out comparison of R9 280x vs GTX 770
*www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1037

If you go with 770 then go with ZOTAC, 5 yrs warranty comes in handy later on.

Both cards are more than 9 inches I suppose. Better change your cabinet and not compromise on the GPU or see if some modifications can be done to your cabinet .

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Both cards are more than 9 inches I suppose. Better change your cabinet and not compromise on the GPU or see if some modifications can be done to your cabinet .

Any recommendation on a cabinet, that will fit in large cards, preferably with nice cable management ?

I'll still wait and check to see if GTX 770 , equivalent or a better card can be available for 9in or less. Hopefully someone here knows one.

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Thanks for posting everyone.

Some good news UPDATE: I said max 9inch because I need an about an extra inch and half space to plug in the 2 power connections. (I assumed the connections were at the end as like my current card)

I just noticed, some of the cards have power inputs at the top.. In this case, I can afford to get a card that's 10in wide. (Its too late now , I'll open up the cabinet in the morning and confirm the width , I hope 10 inches will work.)

Zotac GTX770 2 GB will be best but unforunately the dimensions of the card are not available on the manufacturer website. Maybe you can send them an email requesting the information.

If you go with 770 then go with ZOTAC, 5 yrs warranty comes in handy later on.

I checked on Flipkart, its 254mm (10in). I need to confirm this from else where too.
Also it looks like the power connections are at the top. I guess this could work for me.

Any suggestion brands other than zotac ? Any ones to avoid ? (though I'd take Zotac as first choice)
I'm seeing an option for MSI & Galaxy (not heard about it)

Amongst the current lot I would suggest Sapphire R9 280X Toxic or ZOTAC GTX 770
snapdeal.com/product/sapphire-toxic-r9-280x-3g/1820538848

The Sapphhire r9-280x is 12 inches so its not an option now.

Antec GX700 -4100,
Antec GX900 -4600.
(theitdepot.com)

Thanks for this, Hopefully I can get a graphics card to fit in and I can delay upgrading my cabinet.

^ Wrong thread :lol:

R9 280X gets my vote

Its in the right thread. I asked for cabinet because may be the new graphics card might not fit in the existing one.

Thanks. I'll look up the models, do you have an idea which is good one.

Last edited:

sniperz1

Journeyman
Almost every GPU nowadays comes with connectors along the length of the card. That means you don't need extra space at the end of the card for the cables. Zotac 770 2 GB version is the same, must be around 10 - 11 inches I suppose. High end cards are usually lengthier these days to include a large heatsinks and multiple fans to keep the GPU cool.

My GPU is around 12 inches, had to remove the hard drive cage grill to fit it in my cabinet but my cabinet had provisions for the extension.

Which cabinet do you have? Almost every reputed brand mid tower cabinet has the capacity to include long GPU's. But just read the GPU clearance before buying if you decide to.

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Which cabinet do you have? Almost every reputed brand mid tower cabinet has the capacity to include long GPU's.

I have Cooler Master CM 310 right now. There is space of 10.5 inches for Graphics card, anything more would be pushing it.

But just read the GPU clearance before buying if you decide to.
What do you mean by this ? Where can I read it.

Some questions .

1 - I saw the 770 needs a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. My PSU has 6 + 2 pin connectors, are these the same as an 8 pin connector or do I need something more ?

*images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/02/corsair_tx750w_psu_cmpsu-750tx/tx750w3-8.jpg

2 - My existing 560ti was working one day and died the next day (white blocks on the screen). I'm not sure how/why ?
I read somewhere a faulty mobo pci-e slot can damage the card. Is there any way to figure out if it was the mobo ?

3 - Any other brands I can look for in case Zotac is not available ? Any brands to avoid ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

sniperz1

Journeyman
You would need one 6 pin and one 8 pin [6+2] to power the card.
I am not sure if a faulty slot can damage gpu, maybe someone else can help on that.

My second choice would be Asus Gtx 770 DC2OC 2 GB
primeabgb.com/asus-gtx-770-gtx770-dc2oc-2gd5-2gb-gddr5-graphics-cards.html
*www.theitdepot.com/details-ASUS+Ge...+Graphic+Card+(GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5)_P18053.html

You can also go for MSI but I have read some difficult ASS by MSI these days.Would avoid other brands like galaxy.

Zotac is preferred cause of its warranty extension, you have to register your gpu after purchase within a time period though.
All other brands have ~3 yrs warranty

Your cabinet has maximum GPU capacity of 10.8 inches so I think it should just accomodate 770 inside.
Cooler Master: Elite 310

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Zotac is preferred cause of its warranty extension, you have to register your gpu after purchase within a time period though.

Bought Zotac GTX 770 today. It fit into my cabinet perfectly, so no need for a Cabinet for now.
I guess this should work great for most current games.

Thank You everyone for your posts.

sniperz1

Journeyman
Bought Zotac GTX 770 today. It fit into my cabinet perfectly, so no need for a Cabinet for now.
I guess this should work great for most current games.

Thank You everyone for your posts.

Congrats, its a great GPU and will give good performance.
Register for extended warranty before the time runs out.

Top Bottom