Battery woes - drops from 50% to dead and switches off

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have a 2+ years old Sony Ericsson LWW phone which is on stock ICS firmware but rooted using ERoot.

Around 3 months back battery started to drop precipitously from 10% to near zero in seconds and phone would shut off. But I rarely let it go that low as I usually charge my phones at 40% - 25% battery remaining range. But in the last month or so this crept up from 10% to 15% then 20% then 30% and 40% and last week 50% and on the last day tested at 65% remaining charge (as reported by phone).
A strange behaviour that was seen towards the end was that once fully charged phone will show battery at 100% for a long time and then start a rapid downhill descent.

As this lead to the phone being literally useless in normal day to day life, I got a new EP500 battery (genuine OEM as far as I can make out). Now even after 4 - 5 charge discharge cycles the battery percentage reports continue to be in the same manner i.e., show 100% for a long time and then switch off at 50%+ showing low battery.

How to rectify this?

--------------------------

Frighteningly my ZR which is 6 months+ of age has also started showing similar behaviour of rapidly weakening battery (now anything below 20% is unreliable).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you have CWM installed, try booting in it and use "remove battery stats" option
If not, im sure there are apps that will do that job for you, search for it

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
If you have CWM installed, try booting in it and use "remove battery stats" option
If not, im sure there are apps that will do that job for you, search for it
Done. No change. I understand batterystats is just a log and has no bearing whatsoever on the actual battery reporting or life.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I have a 2+ years old Sony Ericsson LWW phone which is on stock ICS firmware but rooted using ERoot.

Around 3 months back battery started to drop precipitously from 10% to near zero in seconds and phone would shut off. But I rarely let it go that low as I usually charge my phones at 40% - 25% battery remaining range. But in the last month or so this crept up from 10% to 15% then 20% then 30% and 40% and last week 50% and on the last day tested at 65% remaining charge (as reported by phone).
A strange behaviour that was seen towards the end was that once fully charged phone will show battery at 100% for a long time and then start a rapid downhill descent.

As this lead to the phone being literally useless in normal day to day life, I got a new EP500 battery (genuine OEM as far as I can make out). Now even after 4 - 5 charge discharge cycles the battery percentage reports continue to be in the same manner i.e., show 100% for a long time and then switch off at 50%+ showing low battery.

How to rectify this?

--------------------------

Frighteningly my ZR which is 6 months+ of age has also started showing similar behaviour of rapidly weakening battery (now anything below 20% is unreliable).

On my Galaxy Nexus, I had a similar problem. Phone would shut off when there was still 15% to 20% charge left... Solution was simple... Get a new battery from eBay... A cheap OEM battery would do the trick. The one you got might be faulty...

Top Bottom