Audio Technica ATH-M20x or Sony - WH-CH510

markerOne

In the zone
I decided to get quality headphones along with my PC upgrade and ended shortlisting to Audio Technica ATH-M20x and Sony - WH-CH510. I need some help in choosing between the two as price wise, CH510 is better at 3.7k while M20x goes at 4.3k post discount.

I'm no audiophile but my usage is as follows..
Gaming (50%)
Youtube (Music & videos), Anime & Movies (30%)
Music (15%)
Calls (5%)

The CH510 is a wireless model and my first preference is for wired one. If I can save costs and if it can match the M20x mostly I won't mind going for this. Personally I'm inclined towards the M20x, but I'd like to know if the CH510 is a worthy buy.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
If you can consider IEMs then give this a thought:

*www.headphonezone.in/products/blon...Eqq7C7N2Qa3FCxNojiyelXtR5YWq98SkaAqJmEALw_wcB

This sounds better than M40x (to me)

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
I decided to get quality headphones along with my PC upgrade and ended shortlisting to Audio Technica ATH-M20x and Sony - WH-CH510. I need some help in choosing between the two as price wise, CH510 is better at 3.7k while M20x goes at 4.3k post discount.
Is comfort a requirement?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have no opinion about the Sony one, but I own the ATH one, so I can give my opinion about it. I personally find the M20x comfortable, it does have a somewhat tight grip on your ears but I don't know if you'd find it to your liking. The grip is so tight that I sometime I can't hear the doorbell ringing. This is a non-issue IMO.

Soundwise, the M20x is not bass-heavy. It has a flat soundstage like all studio monitors. If you want bass, this is not a headphone for you. That being said, it is capable for driving pretty decent bass, but you have to tweak the equalizer to get it. I am not a basshead, so it's suitable for me.

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
If you can consider IEMs then give this a thought:

*www.headphonezone.in/products/blon...Eqq7C7N2Qa3FCxNojiyelXtR5YWq98SkaAqJmEALw_wcB

This sounds better than M40x (to me)
Thanks, But I'm not looking for IEM.. that being said, I'll look into this. Perhaps I can suggest somebody if they're looking for one.

OP
markerOne

markerOne

In the zone
I have no opinion about the Sony one, but I own the ATH one, so I can give my opinion about it. I personally find the M20x comfortable, it does have a somewhat tight grip on your ears but I don't know if you'd find it to your liking. The grip is so tight that I sometime I can't hear the doorbell ringing. This is a non-issue IMO.

Soundwise, the M20x is not bass-heavy. It has a flat soundstage like all studio monitors. If you want bass, this is not a headphone for you. That being said, it is capable for driving pretty decent bass, but you have to tweak the equalizer to get it. I am not a basshead, so it's suitable for me.

Thanks! I'm not a bass head, but if this bass is like the one in Jays-A-Six Wireless (which I also own), then I would love it. Besides, I can tweak the equalizer a bit if I need a wee bit more bass - isn't it?

Æsoteric Positron

Thanks! I'm not a bass head, but if this bass is like the one in Jays-A-Six Wireless (which I also own), then I would love it. Besides, I can tweak the equalizer a bit if I need a wee bit more bass - isn't it?
Yes you can tweak equaliser , though I do not find bass in m20x too bad, its not too much treble focused, its just neutral and lacking that "boom".

Æsoteric Positron

I'd personally prefer sony one if I am on go (do NOT buy the m20x if you want it to be portable) and if I want that extra bass (for gaming, I theorize, bass would be nice 2 have for hearing footsteps), but for comfort and pure good sound I would go with m20x.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Ath M20x is good choice but if you can compromise on looks part then Samson sr950 is suitable for your requirement under 4k provided your source is good.

Also do not underestimate the iems specially chifi iems....
If you do not have any dedicated amp or sound card then these could suffice.

Suggested Blon bl03 is good but Tin Audio T3 would be superb choice for balanced sound.

Top Bottom