Anthlon64 and the 32bit applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathyan A. S.

Broken In
I read in this months Digit about the Anthlon64 processors(Future Perfect-page67).(':D')

I have an old computer and I am planning to get a new one by buying the different components seperately and assembling it myself. I would like to use my present CD-DVD writers, printer, scanner etc with the new one.
(':)')
In the above article they referred to the Anthlon64 as just another ordinary processor.(':?')

If I opt for this one, isn't that true that I have to get a 64bit operating system, and no applications I currently use is going to work and the 64bit versions are not readily available, no present peripheral devices are going to work as I don't have the 64 bit drivers for them?
(':(')
Please advice! (':roll:')

borg

In the zone
No, ur mistaken. The Athlon 64 can run all ur current applications without any problem. It will run everything Windows, games, u name it. No problem there. All ur devices should also work fine. The point here is that the 64 bit capabilities of the Athlon 64 will not be used with the absense of a 64 bit OS & software. Thats what the article must be taking about. So even if u buy a athlon 64, it will work as a 32 bit processor. untill a 64 bit OS is developed that is. Microsoft is coming out with a 64 bit OS very soon. So if u are going for a new PC, then the Athlon 64 is highly recommended.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The AMD64s have a 32-bit compatibility mode for all applications currently in existence today, so you will be able to do everything you're able to do with any other system just as well, (or even better, when it comes to high performance computing in games, design, etc.)
And you can always install Fedora Core 3 64-bit and can even have fun with Unreal Tournament 2004 64-bit demo. :D Or you can always download the Windows XP Professional 64-bit Customer Preview and have fun. BTW, its nearly due and should be out real soon along with updated drivers for nearly all hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom