AMD Zen 4 Announced for a Sep 27 release

DestGod

Journeyman
*www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-zen-...ications-pricing-benchmarks-all-we-know-specs

AMD announced their 7000 series CPUs yesterday, and it looks good. Support for DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 will be available for all Zen 4 chips, which will definitely drop prices of DDR5 DIMMS. AMD plans on making AM5 a long lasting platform as well, probably will get an AM4-like lifespan.
3D V-Cache CPUs have been teased, and each CPU will consist of iGPUs (RDNA 2 based?).

Pricing starts from 300$ to 700$, which also looks good, but you never know in India.

Thoughts?

13th gen is coming soon, so 13th gen vs Ryzen 7000 will be interesting.

But my prediction is that i7 12700 + mobo + DDR4 RAM will be cheaper & have better multicore performance than R5 7600X + mobo + DDR5 RAM. SC perf & gaming perf are yet to be seen though. With rumours of i5 13400 having 6P + 4E cores, if they maintain $200-220 early next year, that will be another win for Intel in budget CPU segment.

Currently, with price cuts, R5 5600X is able to compete a bit with i5 12400 but the latter has iGPU as a good advantage. The i3 12100 has no answer from AMD.

OP
DestGod

DestGod

Journeyman
13th gen is coming soon, so 13th gen vs Ryzen 7000 will be interesting.

But my prediction is that i7 12700 + mobo + DDR4 RAM will be cheaper & have better multicore performance than R5 7600X + mobo + DDR5 RAM. SC perf & gaming perf are yet to be seen though. With rumours of i5 13400 having 6P + 4E cores, if they maintain $200-220 early next year, that will be another win for Intel in budget CPU segment.
True, the 13400 was what I had in mind when looking at these specs as well.
AM5 mobos apparently start from 130$, which is a negative for tight budget builders. Ironically, Intel has the motherboard advantage over AMD now, considering that the current 600 series LGA 1700 mobos are potentially forward compatible for Raptor Lake. In fact, I believe that Asrock already prepared their current lineup for this.

Things seem to be going in a very opposite trend here, with Intel being the multi core king and AMD the single core king.

True, the 13400 was what I had in mind when looking at these specs as well.
AM5 mobos apparently start from 130$, which is a negative for tight budget builders. Ironically, Intel has the motherboard advantage over AMD now, considering that the current 600 series LGA 1700 mobos are potentially forward compatible for Raptor Lake. In fact, I believe that Asrock already prepared their current lineup for this.

Things seem to be going in a very opposite trend here, with Intel being the multi core king and AMD the single core king.
Intel supports just 2 gens of CPU & there's no doubt on current 12th gen mobos supporting 13th gen. Rumours say there might not be H710 mobo, budget buyers will have to use H610. Just a BIOS update would be required for 600 series mobo.

Yeah, tables have surely turned, other than MC performance, now Intel is also the budget option whereas AMD used to have that spot. Even till R3 3100 & 3300X AMD was good for budget users.

*www.techspot.com/images2/news/bigimage/2022/08/2022-08-30-image-3.jpg
Also, Intel just needs a 15% SC performance uplift to retake SC performance crown with 13th gen. Time will tell if they can deliver.

Rumours like these surely paint a bad pic for AMD:
1661932141292.png

If above numbers are true & 13700K is priced $400-450, then RIP AMD. AMD's only advantage would be longer mobo support.

Top Bottom