About Different Versions of Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanty1942

Journeyman
I know Microsoft publishes Windows.
I don't know who are all releasing different versions of Linux.

Hardly there are 7 versions of Windows ( 3.1, 3.11, 95,98, NT4, 2000, XP).
Why there is more than 50 versions of linux & releasing everymonth so quickly ? Who are they behind so many versions of Linux ?

Satan_Rulez

Broken In
One of them can be your next door neibhour.
The open source community is very vast.
N they dont mind sharing their knowledge.
Unlike Microsoft.

ujjwal

Padawan
Linux developers are a large number of people from all around the world. Most do it for free. Linux initially was a port of Unix for the pc, made by Linus Torvalds. Now, many companies like Redhat, Suse etc are developing variants of linux. The reason there are so many versions is that linux is open-source ie anyone can modify it for a purpose.

yogeshginde

Right off the assembly line
Linux Distributions

Hi,

[I may be replying to a troll posting - but...]

Linux-based operating systems are known as 'distributions' (or 'distros'). They consist of the core operating system kernel ('Linux'), one or more desktop environments (eg 'GNOME', 'KDE'), development tools, games etc. The common theme running across all distros is that they all run atop the Linux kernel (although many other components would be common as well).

*Anyone*, including yourself can legally roll-out such a distribution. As a result there are several commercial as well as non-commercial distros available - each having its own fan following. Which distro is best for you depends upon what you want to do with it - there is no 'one size fits all' distro - though some vendors aim for that too...

As far as the frequency of releases is concerned, Linux (and free software in general) follows a philosphy of 'release early and release often'). However, just because a new version of your distribution is available does not mean you have to rush out and install it. Unless there's a compelling reason - security fixes, incredible new features - you may choose to stick to an older version. This is similar to people using Windows 98, even though XP is available...

Hope this helps,
Yogesh

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
I want to get the list of all developers/companies those are well known to Linux users for releasing different distributions.

firewall

In the zone
mohanty1942 said:
I want to get the list of all developers/companies those are well known to Linux users for releasing different distributions.

find here a complete lists of GNU distributions on LINUX kenel.. aka Gnu/linux

*www.linux.org/dist/list.html

:)

rakee

Journeyman
Distros

*distrowatch.com
This is a perfect site to review Linux distros and to find all kinda of info on any linux distro.
They give a detailed information of the packages,apps that ship with each distros.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
actually speaking we can organize all the linux versions on the basis of the kernel upgrade.
There are several distros that use the kernel and build up there own versions ;)
..:: peace ::..
Jeba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom