A big blow to all rooting enthusiasts

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that's going to happen.In fact many banking apps refuse to install or run on rooted android devices.You can bypass by using some apps but then again how many can do it successfully & also expect all their banking apps to also run correctly without any issue. If banks themselves are not trusting rooted devices then it makes little sense for device manufacturers to provide warranty support to rooted devices either.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't think that's going to happen.In fact many banking apps refuse to install or run on rooted android devices.You can bypass by using some apps but then again how many can do it successfully & also expect all their banking apps to also run correctly without any issue. If banks themselves are not trusting rooted devices then it makes little sense for device manufacturers to provide warranty support to rooted devices either.
The issue here is about not allowing users to unlock bootloader of their phones, which is different than rooting. You can flash GSIs on treble enabled, bl unlocked phones to get rid of however crappy stock rom was. Google made treble support mandatory for all phones launching with oreo or above.

Almost every OEM supports bootloader unlocking (google "Bootloader unlock <oem name>"). Only Oneplus and Xiaomi give warranty support to rooted and BL unlocked phones.

PS: You still can flash custom rom without enabling root access.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even if you don't root your phone/use custom ROMs, you should still protest this change because this sets a bad precedence for all OEMs. Not everybody appreciates telemetry and not everyone appreciates OEM ROMs. Taking away this option means that you no longer have any control on your own experience with the device, which is a design failure in smartphones IMO.

I don't really care about the majority, I am a power user and I will always support rooting and custom ROMs. There are no technical hurdles for the OEM to disable bootloader unlocking, only business decisions. If I buy your device, I don't give a f*** about anything else.

Make features, not anti-features.

Top Bottom