PC stuttering from some days randomly

Abhishek532

Broken In
Hello everyone , posting after a long time

So recently my PC is behaving strangely . It started last week when it wont boot up and launched Startup Repair upon numerous failed boots . Somehow i got to boot it and then i experienced random freezes ,idling or gaming doesn't matter , totally random, forcing me to power off the main switch and then it doesn't even reboot for 20-30 minutes(I boot the PC and nothing happens) . Tried cleaning and troubleshooting and now i'm here , PC boots normally 4/5 times (freezes completely during windows loading 1/5 times) , and stutters for 3 seconds continuously after every 5-6 seconds (which gets fixed by restarting ,but occurs again in the next startup)

Things I have tried and tested -
1. CPU temp is 35C and GPU is 45C .
2. Checked HDDs using HDD Sentinel ,showing no damage .
3. Cleaned the 2 HDDs (1TB and 500GB WD) and their holders/frames .
4. Ran antivirus scans with no threats found .
5. Updated GPU driver .
6. Defragmented drives .
7. Task manager shows no abnormal CPU or GPU usage .

P.S- Since some construction work is going on at home , the cabinet is prone to more dust , so I clean it more often but still idk whats the problem

My specs are -
AMD Phenom x4 960T
GIGABYTE 1060 6GB
Corsair XMS3 4GB x2
1TB and 500GB WD HDD

OP
A

Abhishek532

Broken In
Does mobo have to do anything about sudden freezes/crashes and stuttering ?
Even mobo is pretty old , GIGABYTE 970A-UD3

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does mobo have to do anything about sudden freezes/crashes and stuttering ?
Even mobo is pretty old , GIGABYTE 970A-UD3
mobo & ram are the most likely culprits in such situations if processor/gfx card/psu are ruled out.Out of mobo & ram chances of mobo failure,especially older than 3 years,are much higher.

OP
A

Abhishek532

Broken In
Tried memtest ,putting each Ram stick in all the ports .
How do I confirm motherboard damage ? And is it repairable ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried memtest ,putting each Ram stick in all the ports .
How do I confirm motherboard damage ? And is it repairable ?
Only way is to try with a new/different mobo which is not possible in your case as system is quite old.Repair shop may test your system with another AM3+ mobo if available & forget about repairing it unless lucky as usually such repair is not possible except in a very few cases.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
First of all try with another PSU. It can be due to a faulty PSU too. Are you able to stay in the BIOS screen for some long duration and do you still experience freezing when in BIOS?
Try ubuntu live disk at once. Connect only one hdd for testing purposes. I doubt a PSU problem here more than the motherboard. So test with another good PSU before giving motherboard for repair.

OP
A

Abhishek532

Broken In
Thanks everyone for the help . Out of frustation i decided to reinstall Windows which seems to fix the problem .Probably a software corruption .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use Macrium reflect free version & make a system image of your currently working windows install,may come in handy for future trouble shooting.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will it help in restoring the os rather than reinstalling?
Image restoring software are made for that purpose only.One takes an image of system/C drive & then restore it to recover from any corruption/undo any changes since image creation.Everything will be exactly like when the image was created(installed software,system settings etc).

Top Bottom