Your Favorite Desktop Environment

Your Favorite Desktop Environment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
To be very frank, all the flubox screenshots I have seen so far have no colour sense. There is no unification or consistency that KDE or GNOME provide. Sure it is speedy, but its not like KDE or GNOME is slow on anything more then 256 MB RAM.

The Worst Window Manager I saw was in Damn Small Linux. Can we make a slim Gnome version for DSL?

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
To be very frank, all the flubox screenshots I have seen so far have no colour sense. There is no unification or consistency that KDE or GNOME provide. Sure it is speedy, but its not like KDE or GNOME is slow on anything more then 256 MB RAM.

The Worst Window Manager I saw was in Damn Small Linux. Can we make a slim Gnome version for DSL?

Not all of us are worried about color coordination =)

If you think that Gnome on ANY amount of RAM is "not slow", then perhaps you should experience Fluxbox the way I do...on a lean Linux system or a FreeBSD system. Guaranteed, FreeBSD loads KDE faster than I've ever witnessed it load up on virtually any machine, but ANY hint of desktop lag is enough to make me switch. It's not program load delay...I understand that...it's when the desktop just stops responding (even for a split second)...with Fluxbox on Gentoo or FreeBSD, I don't see that kind of lag.

Makes me crazy for some reason. I can't stand it.

I also have no problem with using the CLI routinely (I know, I know...it doesn't fall into the "user friendly" category!), but that's ME...I could care less if Joe Schmoe the "Linux user" thinks Gnome is the shizt...Gnome doesn't work for me...period. KDE isn't *bad*, but it's certainly too "automated" for my tastes.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
KDE rocks all the way, Gnome is good too, but the apps integrated with KDE ( Ktorrent, Amarok and K3B have no counterparts either in Gnome or In XFCE, I used one more of them, it sucked big time).
Eye candy looks good and speed is also great if one installs only the basic KDE packages and not ones like KdeGames and all ;)

praka123

left this forum longback
I believe Gnome or Xfce is not bound by "K" like lists.rather they just packs most used apps and assimilate many new softwares.an example is alacarte editor first started as smeg.So Gnome just keep going on.
another big difference is Gnome uses Gtk+ 2.0 and most of other wm's too.Kde is the only DE/wm am aware of which uses qt libs.
I hope gtk2 get more developed to grew as like qt4.soon kde will be available for windows too?

rocket357

Security freak
cynosure said:
Ktorrent, Amarok and K3B have no counterparts either in Gnome or In XFCE
Umm, why can't you run Ktorrent, Amarok, and K3b in Gnome? Or XFCE? Or <insert wm/de here>?

I use Amarok and K3b all the time in Fluxbox (can't comment on Gnome as I don't use it)...works flawlessly in Fluxbox, I might add. Just because it's a "KDE" app doesn't mean it won't run on a Gnome Linux system =)

Edit - if you're worried about themes clashing (qt vs. gtk):

*gtk-qt.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

As for KTorrent...meh, I use CTorrent, so I can't say on that one.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
rocket357 said:
I use Amarok and K3b all the time in Fluxbox (can't comment on Gnome as I don't use it)...works flawlessly in Fluxbox, I might add. Just because it's a "KDE" app doesn't mean it won't run on a Gnome Linux system =)
i can comment on it and i've used both kde and gnome. rite now using gnome. i run k3b, ktorrent, kate (i love this text editor) widout any probs in gnome :)

only thing is that the download size becomes more when u try to run kde apps in a non-kde wms. the shared items add to the download.

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah.u need to download all of the qt libs and kde stuffs(in debian).Id say better stick with one environment if ur very much comfortable on it.or go searching for those n number of wm's.
Also I feel most of the Linux(GNU/Linux) GUI is made up with gtk2,while kde and qt makes another pool for the same apps written in qt(which means almost a kde download!).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
praka123 said:
while kde and qt makes another pool for the same apps written in qt(which means almost a kde download!).
Not really, I believe just qt is enough unless the app needs kdelibs.
I still have softwares like skype and opera but removed all packages(i hope so) of KDE and GNOME.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
rocket357 said:
?

But you need to install Kdebase for that. And when you start K-apps in gnome or Xfce or anywhere else, some KDE kinda environment is created which saps up enough memory to slow down the PC. (Somebody with 2 GBs of RAM wont feel the pain :D)

And yeah, I am downloading fluxbox currently 8) , lets see what it offers coz so many people here are using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom