Yet another unsolvable bugging GRUB problem! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu and Vista (already once more) after formatting the existing versions of both... becoz of some problems.

Now, I unknowingly formatted the partitions of Ubuntu from within Vista. As usual, when i restarted it says "Grub error... " BLABLA.. I tried to rectify the windows by allowing the boot loader of windows to take control by inserting windows vista dvd and using "startup repair" option.. but when restarted, it says hte same error... and its so irritating! :( I cant format again and install vista... and as of now i am not interested in installing Ubuntu or any other linux versions for this really annoying issue alone!! Everytime something gets screwed!

Now, I want to delete this GRUB loader and make Windows vista start normally without reinstalling it. Please suggest me an easy way.

Thanks,
legolas.

Ok, I finally found the solution to this problem, its relatively easy as in the case of XP, but the commands are different and located in a different directory in VISTA :(

In case any of you face the same problem with "grub error 22"... follow these steps:

1) Boot using Windows vista DVD and enter the startup recovery mode...
2) And try fixing using teh automatic option which vista will do automatically... but it will NEVER fix the problem...
3) go to the advanced options mode and choose command prompt
4) the prompt would be, x:\sources>
5) type in cd x:\windows\system32 (this step may be unnecessary... u can try skipping it also)
6) then type bootrec /fixmbr
7) for safe side, also type bootrec /fixboot
8) for more options type bootrec /?

now restart and it should be done! Hopefully! :)

regards,
legolas.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Fixing the MBR from within the Windows environment or its disc always is the solution to removing GRUB. You can also try installing a 3rd party boot manager and then uninstall and clear the MBR that way. [I've tested this one a while ago with some 'OSL Boot Manager']

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom