Wishnet (Kolkata) - port block

cheesiechimp

Right off the assembly line
Can any Wishnet subscriber confirm if Wishnet (Kolkata) blocks any ports on their network

i.e. VPN traffic (PPTP/L2TP)
ssh (22)
VOIP (5060)

OP
C

cheesiechimp

Right off the assembly line
Okay, so, I got a chance to dig around a bit and it does look like there might be an issue for Wishnet subscribers if they wanted to open up some ports for remote access to their home computers. Below is what I found. Happy to be corrected if anyone knows more. Aren't there any gamers on the Wishnet network? Gamers should be needing this frequently.

IP address of the computer of this Wishnet subscriber showed 113.21.71.xxx on whatismyip

Opened up a high port on the router and set up a port forward it to a machine on the LAN. Couldn't access it from the internet. :-( hmmm. okay.

Tried a traceroute. That goes and stops after a few hops at:
vodafone.te13.1.br01.sin01.pccwbtn.net 63.218.163.170 us 346.392 ms 346.250 ms 346.199 ms
followed by a message:
No reply for 3 hops. Assuming we reached firewall

Wishnet is purchasing bandwidth from Vodafone, that much is apparent. The network probably has multiple NAT levels. I suspect Vodafone hasn't given Wishnet a large enough IPv4 address pool / Wishnet has chosen to go with a smaller pool to save costs. I believe Wishnet has gone for what is known in the industry as Carrier Grade NAT. I wonder if they have considered running dual-stack (IPv6 CGNATted + IPv6) or IPv6 route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom