wireless router for BSNL broadband & filesharing

pratik03

Journeyman
Hi guys,

I want to buy wifi router for following needs
1) Share BSNL broadband internet connection.
2) Enable file sharing.

I am going to connect following devices to this router
tow PCs & iPhone.

Max Budget:- 3k

Please suggest a router with good signal strength & no disconnection issue

Thanks
Pratik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:- BSNL dose not have any wi-fi router in stock, Also I've decided to buy wi-fi router without ADSL modem.

Could you please suggest some good 802.11n wi-fi router which can seamlessly work with BSNL basic modem ?

Shortlist modem as of now:-

ASUS RT N10
NETGEAR N150
Buffalo WCR-GN

Max Budget:- 2k

Last edited:

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Isn't it good to get the modem cum router device. In that case u only need one gadget attached and no need of separate modem.

Even I am looking for the same and saw a Belkin modem cum router along with a WIFI USB dongle in Ebay for almost 2k

arko1983

In the zone
I am also looking for a router for downloading without keeping my pc active.If anybody using such stuff plz advice budget as low as possible.(dont need wireless)

OP
pratik03

pratik03

Journeyman
This one's good, only INR2400:

Belkin : Basic Wireless Router

many people are complaining that Belkin has some connection drop issues

Isn't it good to get the modem cum router device. In that case u only need one gadget attached and no need of separate modem.

Even I am looking for the same and saw a Belkin modem cum router along with a WIFI USB dongle in Ebay for almost 2k

Yes I am looking for modem cum router device

I am also looking for a router for downloading without keeping my pc active.If anybody using such stuff plz advice budget as low as possible.(dont need wireless)

IMO you cant download or upload without pc

newway01

Journeyman
I was about to post the same query. I am looking for a Wifi Router for sharing BSNL Wimax connection and to enable file sharing between devices. Devices to be used:

1)Desktop PC with Netgear PCI Wireless card.
2)2 Wifi Mobile Phones
3)A netbook.

Don't need any adsl modem or such stuffs. Just something to hook my Wimax LAN cable and get connectivity at home (1500sqft) for other devices. Please give your suggestions.

What about these models?

BELKIN Basic Router N150 (Rs.1200 for a new one online)

Linksys ROUTER WRT54G2

Linksys Router BEFW11S4 (a used one available for 600rs)

Also I have a doubt. What is G speed and N speed routers?

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
many people are complaining that Belkin has some connection drop issues

I had none!
By many are you referring to one person or are they really "many".

Generally speaking, hardwares have issues, but pertaining only to specific device not in all the devices manufactured in that category.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yup BSNL Type 2 Modems does @OP's job well. I'm personally using it for 2years. No problem at all.

And yes Belkin : Basic Wireless Router faces connection drop. My nephew got it and faces problem.

But BSNL ones will not have advanced features like firewall or so. So if @OP has a budget, I'd like to suggest him to get a good router if he are looking for features above few basic ones.

Rajesh345

Youngling
Yup BSNL Type 2 Modems does @OP's job well. I'm personally using it for 2years. No problem at all.

And yes Belkin : Basic Wireless Router faces connection drop. My nephew got it and faces problem.

But BSNL ones will not have advanced features like firewall or so. So if @OP has a budget, I'd like to suggest him to get a good router if he are looking for features above few basic ones.

my BSNL WA1003a router have firewall (dk if this is wt u ref. to )

*img51.imageshack.us/img51/986/11718144.jpg

edit but support only >.> WEP WPA

*img269.imageshack.us/img269/6863/secz.jpg

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
even WPA will do the job if u set the password with more than 8 digits\characters

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^These models doesn't exists anymore. They have new firmware now and upgraded.

Well, as far I can remember there is no firewall in these ones. Which I guess he won't need at Router Level.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Airtel has stopped giving Wifi router
Airtel still provide wifi routers. But now they don't provide on monthly rental, rather you have to purchase by one time payment.
Price is around Rs. 1500/-

Best things is you get full support from Airtel, and they will also replace your router in case of any fault.

Are you currently using this ?

Is this relible in terms of quilty such as signal strength & connection drop issues ?

Yes, I have used BSNL wifi rounter, and its good.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^^ Nope. I called them yesterday and they said we are no more providing it. If I need I can buy from outside and they will configure the same for me.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^ Nope. I called them yesterday and they said we are no more providing it. If I need I can buy from outside and they will configure the same for me.
can't say about Bangalore.. but Airtel offer wifi router in Delhi.
Have you called 198 (toll free from Airtel)

OP
pratik03

pratik03

Journeyman
BSNL dose not have any wi-fi router in stock, Also I've decided to buy wi-fi router without ADSL modem.

Could you please suggest some good 802.11n wi-fi router which can seamlessly work with BSNL basic modem ?

Shortlist modem as of now:-

ASUS RT N10
NETGEAR N150
Buffalo WCR-GN

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz

I bought this belkin modem cum router along with usb wifi adapter from ebay for 2k and the item reached me on 17/5/11. It is working fine with my bsnl broadband. The router has no wifi antenna or no option to attach one. It's power pin is square type.

Top Bottom