What should be the image dimensions/resolution for printing large/portrait photos?

Rajiv

Broken In
Hi,

Please let me know what should be the image dimensions/resolution for printing large/portrait photos?
And which type/brand/model of camera is suitable for the same?

Thx

sujoyp

Grand Master
In my view a 8 mp digicam pic is enough to print 8x10 ....if you want much bigger print better get it done by DSLR ...even a 12 mp dslr can give you bigger print

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
Thanks sujoy.
Actually I have to hire the services of a videographer for a family function. So
just trying to know few details so that I can verify if the videographer has the
appropriate equipment. Can you tell me a camera model for good quality
HD video recording and a good camera for good quality still photographs.

Still photos should be of such quality from which portaris can also be printed?

sujoyp

Grand Master
look its simple...if you are hiring someone then its for sure they will be a team of guys...one will do video one will do photographs one with video light etc..

for photography just see that he have a dslr and a good external flash ...it will be good if you can mention the maximum size of printing you are planning.

If its a 4ft by 5 ft type of huge portrait better see that he should have a full frame dslr like nikon D700, D600, D800, D4 , D750 or a canon 5dmk2, 5dmk3, 6d, etc

nac

Aspiring Novelist
In my view a 8 mp digicam pic is enough to print 8x10 ....if you want much bigger print better get it done by DSLR ...even a 12 mp dslr can give you bigger print
I was about to say the same thing, any of today's compact would be good enough to print an A4 size. :)
Please let me know what should be the image dimensions/resolution for printing large/portrait photos?
And which type/brand/model of camera is suitable for the same?
I guess for family function, as Sujoy said any DSLR would be fine.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Don't worry Rajiv, you will get good photographs. Be it D90 or Sony, it's all in the skills of a photographer.

sujoyp

Grand Master
rajiv I am again asking how big you are planning to print ...D90 is 12 MP and good enough to print large prints ...but how large do you want??

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmm 32inch tv is quit large ...D90 may be bit less ...may still be sufficient enough ...ask them if they have any DSLR with more megapixel .

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Rajiv, You can even print A1 size with a 6mp photograph. They don't print big @ 300dpi and we're not gonna put our nose on the photograph and look for the details when printing big. So don't worry, you can comfortably get the print size you want.

Tell the photographers about the size you're thinking. They can tell you better...

- - - Updated - - -

hmm 32inch tv is quit large ...D90 may be bit less ...may still be sufficient enough ...ask them if they have any DSLR with more megapixel .
I think it's sufficient, Sujoy.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] a 32inch tv size will be almost equal to 3 A4 size in length and 2 A4 size in breadth ...its big ....maybe a 12mp will be less ....but its also true that you are not going to view it from very very close ....from 1 feet away it will not matter much.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac a 32inch tv size will be almost equal to 3 A4 size in length and 2 A4 size in breadth ...its big ....maybe a 12mp will be less ....but its also true that you are not going to view it from very very close ....from 1 feet away it will not matter much.
Yes, it's bigger than A2 size.

32" Full HD is 1920x1080
i.e, He is viewing 2.07mp image @ 68.84dpi - 29"x16" (rounded). Correct me if I am wrong.

So a 12mp (4000x3000) @ 68.84dpi would give him 58"x44" (rounded).

Let's say he wants to print at high dpi (>250), he can print as big as 16"x12" with a 12mp image.

OP
R

Rajiv

Broken In
Thanks guys for all the info . I dint consider about the fact that such big photos
would be viewed from atleast 3-4 ft away,,

Meanwhile do you know about Canvera which is into printing and designing of family albums.
Some of the photographers I talked with said that they will create albums by using services of
Canvera

So just wanted to know how are the services of Canvera?

Thx

sujoyp

Grand Master
nac we can not have a pic less then 300dpi for printing to get sharp prints

canvera ..let me see

Top Bottom