[Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04] Sound Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi ,
I have an Asus A8n-VM motherboard and 5.1 speakers. The proeblem i am facing is i get output only from 2 front speakers. If i set channel mode to 6ch , sound goes completely. I tried some ofthe workarounds suggested on ubunutofrums.org but they didnt work.

Code:
Aaman@aman-port:~$ aplay --list-devices
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This is one the outputs asked for , so you can have a look

Also , i have a ATi Radeon x300 graphics card. After installing the ATi drivers , video played in VLC is shakey - however it not the case in mPlayer.
I really like VLC so i want to use that ..

praka123

left this forum longback
I hope ati driver issues arebest told in *ubuntuguide.org.
regarding audio,did you try opening the volume control on top panel and go to edit>preferences> options like surround etc unmuted.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
for the multi channel jus check which device is used, the analog or the digital and configure that accordingly by searching for relevant guides (i'm sorry i dun use multi channel so dunno abt the exact config, but search on the net). i think u are giving analog 5.1 connection while enabling the digital multichannel output. check that.

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
hi infra , dude i am sorry but i am not getting what you exactly mean ..
i dont know how does alsa handle sound .. plus m a newbie
just explain a bit more :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Maverick340 said:
Also , i have a ATi Radeon x300 graphics card. After installing the ATi drivers , video played in VLC is shakey - however it not the case in mPlayer.
I really like VLC so i want to use that ..
Under Settings->Preferences, with Advanced Options checked, try choosing an option similar to what MPlayer uses in the division below:

*img382.imageshack.us/img382/213/screenshotpreferencesbk8.png

Mostly MPlayer uses XV by default, so you could start your trial and error with that one. :)

cynosure

UbuntuUser
This happens with me sometimes when only one of my speakers work (out of two). I just pop in the virtual terminal <Ctrl>+<Alt>+F2 and log in as root.
Then use alsaconf. This will detect your sound card and will save the profile. Then go back to X using Ctrl+Alt+F7 and my sound comes back:)
This problem is not solved if I restore any saved sound profile.
I use Zenwalk.:)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
fiddle around wid volume control. file>devices... then edit>pref.. enable all switches.. check if the multichannel output is being directed to the digital out. check for any digital outs enable if u haf analog speakers.

@cynosure
i don't think ubuntu has alsaconf.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Thats why I said "I use zenwalk".:)
If you guys can suggest the equivalent of alsaconf in ubuntu, then I think this problem can be tackled.

mediator

Technomancer
@Maverick :
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty...round_speakers_.285.1_and_others.29_with_ALSA

You need to insert the following (code) lines in your sound config file i.e asoundrc in your home directory! i.e $HOME/.asoundrc

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "surround51"
    slave.channels 6
    route_policy duplicate
}

So

1. gedit /.asoundrc

2. Append the code lines to it!

3. Logout and login again!

4. That shud work!!

In FEDORA, u do it in "/etc/asound.conf"!!

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
^ i tried the duplicating thing.. dosent work. either that or som other setting is astray . after trying to duplicate sound output , should i set channel mode to 2 ch or 6 ch ?

I get this error when i use a command in terminal
Code:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM “surround51″

QwertyManiac said:
Under Settings->Preferences, with Advanced Options checked, try choosing an option similar to what MPlayer uses in the division below:

*img382.imageshack.us/img382/213/screenshotpreferencesbk8.png

Mostly MPlayer uses XV by default, so you could start your trial and error with that one. :)
set it to X11 , worked :)

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Maverick340, try going through this thread if it helps!
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
*help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

This helped. I am getting sound from all right channels + center ( right front , right surround and center )
The left channels give almost 0 output . I have checked for muted channels also , the are all unmuted .
The guide you suggested kalpik dosent help in this regard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom