Please suggest suitable motherboard for AMD FX8120 + Radeon HD 6950

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
i5-3450 is 5-10% better than 2400 and consumes less power (77w vs 95w)
and supports pciev3
thus is better than 2400 with a little higher price tag

OP
angie

angie

At last the devil is here
Ok. pairing up i5-3450 with a low cost motherboard, if possible, seems to be a worthy solution. But it can't be overclocked. Fx 8120 can be overclocked but will consume a LOT of power as some people have said.

I think I will finally go with FX-8120 + AMD radeon 7850. Lets hope it gives decent performance to satisfy the gamer in me. Going from a laptop with Core 2 duo and ATI radeon 4570, I think the initial experience will be more than satisfying no matter what components I choose... :p

One last question-
For RAM, Corsair Vengeance seems to be very popular. What do you guys say?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Corsair Vengeance is good indeed but it may limit your choice of cpu coolers in future - so you can consider getting G-Skill Sniper series.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Ok. pairing up i5-3450 with a low cost motherboard, if possible, seems to be a worthy solution. But it can't be overclocked. Fx 8120 can be overclocked but will consume a LOT of power as some people have said.

Bold part is not a good solution.
And FX-8150 will consume ~100watt of power, where as 3450 will consume ~80watt of power alone. 3450 can be overclocked, but by a limited amount, only with a good motherboard. Overclocked processor always consumes more power but not 'LOT' of power as someone have misguided you.

One last question-
For RAM, Corsair Vengeance seems to be very popular. What do you guys say?

I find ripjaws-x series better than vengeance.

OP
angie

angie

Then i5-3450 is also out of my budget and my decision is greatly simplified. :D AMD FX-8120. Will try to find it cheaper on streets than flipkart otherwise will buy it online.
Any way, should I buy it from here- AMD FX 8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
I sent them an email, they never replied. So I got a little skeptical.

I find ripjaws-x series better than vengeance.
As you and @Sumonpathak have said, Ripjaws x it is, then. Both cost same approx.

One more thing I forgot to ask?
Should I be installing 32-bit win7/8 or 64 bit?
Last time I checked (which is some years) some games had a problem with 64 bit? Do they have right now?

If I use 32 bit, then I will stick with 4 GB ram, otherwise 8GB.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^both are crap...stick with XMS3 or Ripjaws X

So G-Skill Sniper and Vengeance both are not good ?? any reason ? and same goes true even for Vengeance LP ?

Then i5-3450 is also out of my budget and my decision is greatly simplified. :D AMD FX-8120. Will try to find it cheaper on streets than flipkart otherwise will buy it online.
Any way, should I buy it from here- AMD FX 8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
I sent them an email, they never replied. So I got a little skeptical.

As you and @Sumonpathak have said, Ripjaws x it is, then. Both cost same approx.

One more thing I forgot to ask?
Should I be installing 32-bit win7/8 or 64 bit?
Last time I checked (which is some years) some games had a problem with 64 bit? Do they have right now

If I use 32 bit, then I will stick with 4 GB ram, otherwise 8GB.

windows Xp 64 bit and Vista 64 bit edition ( sand Sp2 ) hs lots of issues and that time may be drivers were not mature enough too but with windows 7 64 bit edition lots of compatibility issues were fixed - if you by any chance have some 16 bit apps/games try dosbox or VMware to run those.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
sniper have very low oc margins and so is vengeance..the IC's used are not upto the mark...cannot comment about LP as i have not tested them yet...

OP
angie

angie

Hey, Thanks all.
Bought all the components from computerbazaar, CTC hyderabad.
AMD FX-8120 + ASUS M5A97 @ 15900
AMD Radeon 7850 2GB @ 14850
G-skill Ripjaws X 4GB (x2) @1850*2 (was not readily available in the market though)
Seagate Baracuda 1 TB @ 4650
Got 500 off on the final price too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Great pricing and congrats .

BTW, what's the brand/manufacturer of the HD7850 ?? is this a OCed version. ? and post some box shots ;-)

Top Bottom