Phone memory problem PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajU
S60 phone memory problem PLEASE HELP

I bought a n6681 not more than 1 month and discovered this problem. Whenever I install something in the memory card, the phone memory also increases. And if I uninstall something the phone memory regains its memory but not all of the memory is regained. Suppose I installed a software/games in the memory card, my phone memory increses from 6900kb to 6950kb and when I unisstalled the game the memory comes back to 6918kb from 6950kb thus as a result phone memory is not regaining its original memory and this day by day installing and uninstalling is consuming & increasing my phone memory. I also changed the location from ph.memory to mmc of incoming massages.
a)How this lost memory can be again gained back?
b) Will reformating the phone can help me without automatically uninstalling the preinstalled softwares such as realplayer, impro & etc.?
c)How the original settings can be brought back without automatically uninstalling the preinstalled softwares like realplayer & etc.?
d)My phones' version is 6.09.00(when I bought the phone) will I lose this version and again have to update it?
e)What is the latest version?
PLEASE HELP ME WITH ALL OF MY QUIRES, please, I AM TOTALLY NEW TO SYMBIAN PHONES.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

Whenever an application is installed (in phone memory or memory card) a corresponding entry is made in the folder C:\System\install\. After going to this folder, you'll see all the names of the apps that you installed followed by .sis (these files cannot be installed again). Along with that, the file named "install.log" is also updated. Thats why the phone memory increased even when you install an app in the memory card. These changes can also be seen in the Application Manager application that is found in the phone. The name of the installed apps are there. When you delete an app from your memory, the corresponding entry from the above mention folder also gets deleted. Hence the memory decreases in the phone memory by a small amount. But the file "install.log" gets updated again. This takes some more memory. Hence the phone memory doesn't get restored completely after deleting an app. You can delete the folder C:\System\install\ completely if you want (i usually do the same) with the help of FExplorer or SmartFileMan.
If you want to restore the phone setting to default, go to Settings>device>General>orig. device sett.
If you want to format your phone (not recommended unless really necessary), press *#7370# in standby. This won't delete any default apps, nor will it mess with your firmware. Btw your firmware is the latest. Hope all this helps you.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ithink u r filling up ur inbox size there by increasing the memory size.....try to delete the files in the inbox or try to change the download option to memory card....

hope this works if the problem u r mentioning is some wht relevant...or else try the above solution...... reply dude

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ithink u r filling up ur inbox size there by increasing the memory size.....try to delete the files in the inbox or try to change the download option to memory card....

hope this works if the problem u r mentioning is some wht relevant...or else try the above solution...... reply dude

OP

RajU
Thanks, but there is an another problem. In phone memory the space used for massages is 21kb but I cannot find any massages anywhere.

K

krazyfrog

The 21kb is actually the size of of file named "index" in the folder C:\System\Mail\. Since this file is in the Mail folder, when you scan your memory its size is shown in messages even if there are no messages. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT FILE. NEVER DELETE IT. Otherwise all your messages will become useless (i.e. they won't open).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom