[N00b-alert!] Installing Vuze or Deluge on Optware/DD-WRT

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello!

some particulars about my device:

• router --> tp-link wdr3600
  • firmware --> dd-wrt (v24)
  • running --> optware transmission from a 4GB usb-drive kept connected to the router

the above set-up was gifted to me by a friend. now i wish to install either vuze or deluge onto it (to have some more options, as well as basically to learn on installing-removing softwares on optware/dd-wrt), and either remove transmission-daemon from it, or keep it there if there's no harm in it. the problem is, am a linux newbie; however, can well-follow instructions, and have putty and winscp ready with me. my query is -- is it possible to install/use either vuze or deluge (or both; ofcourse, only one out of them) on optware? if yes, could someone kindly please direct me to a good guide on how to do it? i have multiple tabs opened in my browser now on the subject after googling since the evening, but haven't found anything worthwhile. i would highly appreciate if someone could assist.

thanks in advance!

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
transmission giving some problems (disconnections, random speeds, mostly low DL-UL speeds). anyway, found out that installing vuze & deluge might not be possible (esp. for a newbie like me) as/on optware. there don't exist packages for them. but found out about rtorrent and rutorrent. trying to figure out ways on installing and using them. have read that rtorrent gives far more options and is more powerful. plus learning to use it would be challenging and exciting. :D

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
as written above, vuze/deluge installation on optware was not possible (atleast for me, as no package for them exists on the openwrt repository), and i got stuck in running rtorrent at a step. would pin the blame on inconsistent/ambiguous/non-existent guides and scattered info throughout the interweb for it! the best i could understand was that i would've to compile a package to sort out a dependancy, which's beyond me ATM. i plan to install a linux VM sometime, and may be then attempt that. but anyway, after getting to know about what am going to write below, i simply didn't bother breaking head on rtorrent any further.

the good news is, that deluge (didn't check about vuze) is available as a package for debian, and i have a NAS with debian on it. will attempt installation on that, and then post what i did here if successful.

Last edited:
OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
successfully installed deluge on my NAS! :doublethumb:

am re-configuring the whole OS and system on a new pen-drive now. will post later if all goes well.

Top Bottom