Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
Check for other months too, its huge. But as I said, now theres no other alternatives ...

Meantime, this is a reply (from AP site) one guy received from MS

Thank you for contacting us about AutoPatcher.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. I would like to provide you with more information on our position.

It is our policy that the distribution of supplemental code such as hotfixes, security updates, and service packs is discouraged. This policy is in place due to concern for the safety and security of our customers, as we can only guarantee the download’s contents when it comes from a Microsoft web site. Distribution of these materials without permission is also an infringement of our copyright.

We try and contact anyone who is in violation of our policy as soon as we can, once we are aware of what they are doing. AutoPatcher is not the only company we have contacted.

We recommend that our customers sign up for Microsoft Update (MU) and enable Automatic Update functionality to receive all updates directly from us. In addition, we have enterprise services such as Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS) that we recommend our enterprise customers to use.

We provide this guidance as it is common to see email scams encouraging people to download our latest patches, but the URL takes them to sites where they are actually exposed to malware. In order to ensure that customers are getting actual Microsoft updates and not malware, we recommend customers get their updates directly from us.

So magazines carry updates in future - as suggested by GX - very less chance

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
.....and weighs only 350 somthing mb
well here in india even 350mb is a big file!! and it contains only 9 updates. so it doesn't make any sense. its jus 12 dayz in this month. hence it contains only 9 updates (for all OSes tho). wait till the end of the month. it'll become huge as the august updates (~2.8GB or so).

i wish MS works on OS and language specific system updates' ISO soon....

din

Tribal Boy
Heard that Autopatcher will be brining up something soon. Really hope thats true.

Quote form Matt (Admin - *thevistaforums.com)

Even when you install Windows XP with service pack 2 you have to download well over 100mb and sometime 150mb of updates to ensure that your new install is fully updated and secure.

And what about if you only had a original XP CD to use - surely it would take you over a day to get your computer updated.

This is not only a tremendous waste of bandwidth but it takes time and effort to ensure that they all get installed correctly, and to keep an eye on the status in case the update freezes.

Autopatcher was a simple way to update your computer with minimum fuss and with only a few mouse clicks.

Surely this rash action will only anger people and give them another reason to be annoyed with Microsoft. If they really wanted to keep the community spirit up then surely they would not take such drastic measures to control their updates.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I wrote to Microsoft, here is my mail and their reply. Addresses edited out for my safety

----- Original Message -----
To: abc@abc.com
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 6:12 PM
Subject: RE:'RTCProd=abc-abc-abc'

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am sorry for the delayed response. I would like provide you with more information on our position.

It is our policy that the distribution of supplemental code such as hotfixes, security updates, and service packs is discouraged. This policy is in place due to concern for the safety and security of our customers, as we can only guarantee the download’s contents when it comes from a Microsoft web site. Distribution of these materials without permission is also an infringement of our copyright.

We try and contact anyone who is in violation of our policy as soon as we can, once we are aware of what they are doing. AutoPatcher is not the only company we have contacted.

We recommend that our customers sign up for Microsoft Update (MU) and enable Automatic Update functionality to receive all updates directly from us. In addition, we have enterprise services such as Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS) that we recommend our enterprise customers to use.

We provide this guidance as it is common to see email scams encouraging people to download our latest patches, but the URL takes them to sites where they are actually exposed to malware. In order to ensure that customers are getting actual Microsoft updates and not malware, we recommend customers get their updates directly from us.

On a separate note, we have noted that you have selected India as your country of residence. For more information you may wish to contact your local Microsoft office as they might be able to provide more information or help you further at;

*support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Many thanks for contacting us.

Warm regards,

PARASHIVA MURTHY
Customer Service Professional
Microsoft Customer Services

Protect Your PC: Microsoft recommends that you protect your PC from Viruses and Security threats. Please visit our website *www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/alert.mspx and follow the steps to stay secure.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 05:42 AM
To: CS (msconus@microsoft.com)
Subject: windows genuine user

---
CUSTOMER PROVIDED SYSTEM PROPERTIES
Country/Region: India
---
SYSTEM PROPERTIES
Ref URL: /common/survey.aspx
O/S: windows nt 5.1
O/S Lang: en-US
Br: mozilla/5.0 (windows; u; windows nt 5.1; en-us; rv:1.8.1.6) gecko/20070725 firefox/2.0.0.6
Br lang: en-us,en;q=0.5
---
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Message: I am a genuine Microsoft Windows Home Edition user and a Hotmail Plus user, and have been using the AutopatcherXP software for installing patches to my system especially after a reformat. Downloading all the patches (MBs of them) all over again does not make sense. You cannot fight piracy (or I cannot imagine why you stopped it - intellectual property??? or they did not ask your permission) by stopping autopatcher as people will simply start keeping tabs and collect patches and install them, albeit more cumbersome. Autopatcher opened my eyes to optional updates like windows power toys - multiple desktops, and windows power shell, and a few other things which i would not have normally seen in Automatic updates. If the Autopatcher project goes underground it may do more harm to your users than any good, if they were to use any unofficial source. Please think about it. Thank you

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
NucleusKore said:
I wrote to Microsoft, here is my mail and their reply. Addresses edited out for my safety

----- Original Message -----
To: abc@abc.com
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 6:12 PM
Subject: RE:'RTCProd=abc-abc-abc'

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am sorry for the delayed response. I would like provide you with more information on our position.

On a separate note, we have noted that you have selected India as your country of residence. For more information you may wish to contact your local Microsoft office as they might be able to provide more information or help you further at;

*support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Many thanks for contacting us.

Warm regards,

PARASHIVA MURTHY
Customer Service Professional
Microsoft Customer Services

Copy cats, they send the same e-mail everybody

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Obviously, the people who reply are not techy. They get standard templates and they modify a bit to suit the customer

rajasekharan

Youngling
stupid update issues...:), waist of hdd, waist of connection. more than that

a big stupid mistake of the century.

boy, imagine installing a 1.5 gb update over already 5 gb windows...Crap.
i guess MS did a good thing to stop autopatcher .
now less people will download updates. and people will be less paranoid..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom