Is it possible to lubricate membrane keyboard

OrrBitt

Broken In
I have two keyboards, the older one is a wired Dell KB216 and the newer one is a wireless Logitech K375s. The problem with both is that after a few months, some keys became really hard to press. These are both membrane keyboards. The individual keys are not removable, but if you open the keyboard, the entire plastic assembly of keys at the top gets separated from the strip of circuit below.

I've followed advice I found on the net and opened up the keyboard and washed the upper plastic keyboard part only, using water-only as well as water and soap, and using a toothbrush to clean any debris. Doing this frees up the keys' movement a bit, but after a while, it goes back to becoming hard. I also smoke, and I've found people saying the ash from the smoke collects and jams the keys. The keys are getting stuck in their 'housing'.

Now I have no intention of stopping smoking right now, and I can't keep buying new keyboards every few months, so I thought of lubricating the Dell KB216 one. I don't care if lubricating it spoils it further as it is pretty unusable at present. I haven't done it yet, but I have Vaseline and Nivea Creme that I could use. Has anyone here lubed their membrane keyboards with any success?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Just get mechanical keyboard. If you are on a budget, get TVS Gold keyboard.
Keys are removal too.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I doubt lubricating membrane keyboards would help much since the only moving part in a membraine keyboard are the keycaps moving in a groove unlike mechanical keyboards that have switches that need lubricating from time to time.

Depending on the type of membrane, you should, in theory, rejuvenate the membrane using some restoring agent to reduce/eliminate stiffness. You get plastic/rubber restorer agents that restore the flexibility of rubber or plastic. This might help, though research a bit before doing something like this since I haven't really done something like this.

IMO getting a mechanical keyboard seems like less hassle.

OP
O

OrrBitt

Broken In
I followed the steps outlined in this video for the Dell KB216 keyboard:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UKbURSZ64

Earlier I used to think that only the entire top frame containing all the keys can be separated from the bottom electronic part, but the above video shows that the individual keys can also be removed, and when the keys are removed, you can see that there is dirt trapped inside, which is possibly what is causing the whole jamming and keys getting stuck issue. Look at the points 02:51 and 04:17 in the video.

After I removed all the keys individually, I washed the frame with soap and water, and then cleaned the individual key caps, and then fitted it all together, and my keyboard has now become really smooth, almost like it was when it was new; it is no longer hard. There are a few keys that are a bit hard, and still get stuck, like the left Ctrl key, but that is acceptable compared to what it was like earlier.

So, anyone who is facing this problem should try and open their keyboard and wash it thoroughly. You could use a toothbrush, or you could get one of the keyboard cleaning brushes that hardly cost Rs. 100 on Amazon, those are better. It took me about two to three hours, but now the keyboard works great.

I'm not sure if the individual keys of the Logitech K375s keyboard can be removed; I'll have to check.

Depending on the type of membrane, you should, in theory, rejuvenate the membrane using some restoring agent to reduce/eliminate stiffness. You get plastic/rubber restorer agents that restore the flexibility of rubber or plastic. This might help, though research a bit before doing something like this since I haven't really done something like this.

If you come to know of such restorative agents, please do tell us. I have come to know of a chemical called WD40, the amazon reviews of which mention that it can be used to clean the keyboard, but I haven't done so myself.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you come to know of such restorative agents, please do tell us. I have come to know of a chemical called WD40, the amazon reviews of which mention that it can be used to clean the keyboard, but I haven't done so myself.
On second thought, most keyboard membranes are made from silicone, so I doubt rubber restoring agents would work.

As for the rubber restoring agents itself, I think tire repair guys usually use it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
This thread reminds me, I need to wash key caps of my TVS gold which I haven't did like ever, in almost a decade.

Top Bottom