India broadband definition updated to 2Mbps download speed

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
The definition of broadband now requires a minimum speed of 2Mbps from telecom operators, after previously requiring a fourth of that bandwidth, 512Kbps, since 2013. The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) notified the change in a January 25 gazette notification published on Thursday.

“Broadband is a data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 2 Mbps to an individual subscriber from the point of presence (POP) of the service provider intending to provide Broadband service,” the new definition says.

Source: *www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technolo...d-to-2mbps-download-speed/article66466409.ece

Nerevarine

Incarnate
jz44p6oo86e31.png

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Took them long enough. I hope the so called "unlimited" connections in India now drop to 2 Mbps after the FUP data ends.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think minimum 4G speeds of 3-4 Mbps should be minimum definition of broadband. But seems like gobernment likes to play catch up instead of remaining ahead of the curve.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Took them long enough. I hope the so called "unlimited" connections in India now drop to 2 Mbps after the FUP data ends.
According to law that IS the norm.
But anyway,this is India.
Only time will speak out.

Top Bottom