Help me buy a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybershastri

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

I have a system with configuration as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+, ASUS A7V8X-X, 512 MB DDR 266MHz, GeForce 4 440 MX Graphics card from XFX.
I want to upgrade my graphics card. The problem is that i am confused. Which graphics card should i buy. My budget is 6000 Rs. I read the graphics cards review in this months review. That made me even more confused. Also one of my friends told me that it is no use in buying 256 MB graphics card. This is because, he told, that the full capabalities are never utilized (he says it is impossible in AGP slots. you need PCI Express slot). Is that true. Is it not worth investing in 256 MB graphics card? Or shall I go for 128 MB graphics card?
Help me with this dilemma. Which graphics card shall I buy? Please quote the price also so that i can compare it with the offer which my local hardware supplier gives. Thank you.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Wrong forum first off ! Posting in hardware section should get the attention of most h/w geeks ;).

Secondly Plz search you will find enough posts asking the same Qs.

Thirdly with a 6k budget u can get a Ati Radeon 9600np with 128MB ram. or a 9550 for 5k sumthn. Go with the former though.........

Fourthly, a low end card doesnt have enuf juice to utilise the 256MB memory in a efficient manner. In most games you will end up getting the same and sometime lower FPS than 128MB versions. And no Vram doesn't have anything to do with a card interface being AGP or PCI-E. Although PCI-E b/w will be used efficiently with the turbo-cache/hyper-memory technology.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Ok With The Most Part Covered By Blade Let Me Add a Few More......The PCI-E Has Far More DIfferent Mechanism Compared to The Agp And The Performance Boost For The Games Is Just Excellent.....But STill a While To Make a Mark In The Mkt Considering The Rather Less Supportin Mobo's :( ......And Now-a-days The Memory Plays a Very Little Role as The 128MB Cards Too Have Varying Rates Of Performance.....It Now Depends On The Core Mem Speeds And The Overclocking Rates too.....The 256MB Shouldnt Be Blindly Purchased But Rather The One's Which Are Worth Buying Like The Radeon X800 And The Geforce 6800 Gt Series are a Top Line Performers now In The 256MB Seg's......Since Ur Mobo Will Not Support The PCI-E Technology u'll Have To Do With The 8X Agp For Now Which Leaves The Major Choices Like Radeon 9800Pro And Xt And The Geforce Fx 5950 (Fair Performer) Out Of Ur Tight Budget :(
For The Price Quotes Check Out The Hardware Sections Sticky Thread And Next Time Start Postin In The Right Section Mate 8)

OP
C

cybershastri

Journeyman
Sorry if i am posting in wrong section. I thought, as i am asking a question it would be good if i post it in a Q&A. Infact this can be in both Q&A and Hardware section.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well Mate No Need To Be Sorry Since Being a Newbie Read The Forum Rules And They Say That All The Hardware Related Queries Should Be Poseted in The Hardware Section Provided......Since This Section(Q&A) Is For General Os And Other Pc Realted Problems The Hardware Section Is Devoted To The Various Queries Solely To The Hardware Aspect And The Most Commonest Of The Question Can Be The One That U Just Asked and The Others are Purchasing Cpu,Mobo,DVD-Writer And So On.......U Get he Idea Right :wink:

In Short If There's a Hardware Section Given Then Why Not Utilise It :lol:

OP
C

cybershastri

Journeyman
I am reading similar topics in the hardware section now. I am getting some help. But still if you know some suitable graphics card which suits my requirements please post it here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom