Good Looking Casing for SATA Hard Disk Drive ?

vishk

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I have an old laptop from 2008 from the Sony VAIO series. It is not working now because the graphic card in it failed, and it is cannot be replaced because it is not an external graphic card. It is soldered into the motherboard so it cannot be repaired, I am planning to get the hard disk removed and make it an external hard drive storage. So I am looking out for a casing (Enclosure), a modern looking Enclosure which looks good. Can you guys suggest me which brands provide good casing to make an external storage from SATA hard disk? It is a SATA Hard Disk with around 200 GB Storage.

Guys, please do not suggest me to get the laptop repaired. I have checked atleast at 10 places. It is beyond repair, because the graphic card which powers the laptop is soldered into the motherboard. So I need to change the motherboard to get the laptop repaired and the cost of motherboard is equivalent or maybe 50-60% of a new laptop. So getting this laptop repair is out of question.

So please only suggest me or a good enclosure for the Satta Hard Disk Drive.

Thanks in Advance !

Last edited:
OP
V

vishk

Journeyman
Orico one looks decent, just check amazon's user reviews. You won't get "trusted" reviews for such products.

But I have a question, how will I know which exact Enclosure will fit the SATA Hard Disk Drive that I have for example the Hard Disk Drive that I’m going to get from the laptop is this model Sony VAIO VGN FZ25GN how will I know will the enclosure with 2.5 USB port or 3USB port will fit into it, is there any way to find it out?

Attachments

• VGN-FZ35G Specifications Sony IN.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 104
There are just 2 types of SATA enclosures, one for 2.5" HDD, and ones for 3.5" ones. SATA III drives support a bandwidth of upto 8Gbps or so. USB 3.0 bandwidth is 5Gbps. That being said, 5400 RPM HDDs utilise 1/5th of SATA III bandwidth, so USB 3.0 enclosure is sufficient, don't get USB 2.0.

Edit :My bad SATA III bandwidth is 6Gbps

Last edited:

chetansha

In the zone
If you can get your hands on vantec cases, do get them. They are good. Better than orico and all.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom