Do you need a DSLR?

tkin

Back to school!!
Exactly. And let us not forget: a couple of assistants to help you carry stuff, set up the shoot, hold the reflector…

I have a colleague with a D3100 who takes his camera to every outing with friends. The large number of out-of-focus images is quite painful to see, especially when you consider they could have very easily been in-focus if someone took a few minutes to understand autofocus points and how to use them. Using a DSLR isn't difficult but you do have to put in some effort.

And then there's the guy who puts down a lot of cash for a DSLR with a kit lens and feel really stupid because all the girls want to take group selfies and his arm just isn't long enough…
This is true specially for India. Lets consider the career of a photographer here. Unless a photographer is quite successful they will mostly go for mid range slr as full frames cost over 200k. And only rich monkeys can afford a slr like that and show off. I have a colleague who keeps on pointing out how expensive his 5D is, but in fact he takes pictures that can easily be matched by a point and shoot. He keeps on fumbling with settings and ends up taking 100 shots out of which only a handful are useful. And once he proudly declared that the liveview lcd is much better than the viewfinder. He has no idea about focus points, or shutter timings and iso settings. Only thing he learned from me is how to take shots with background blurs. Using that he takes shots that have such a blurred background that the shots end up giving you a headache.

Only a few select number of persons I had ever seen that carry a slr that he truly understands. And for them nothing compares with the cam they are using. I aim to join them soon.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I just thought id share my opinion on the topic
I love photography and my first slr was an EOS 500(film camera) with a tamy 28-200mm lens
but i was wreckless and was using it like a normal point and shoot for a long time till I finally got my hands on my first proper camera phone-the Lumia 720 which is one of the best point and shoot cameras ive seen but i wasnt fully satisfied with it because its only downside was grainy images in challenging scenarios(normal for any non-dslr,though the 720s camera is still very capable and fun)

so I decided to get a decent DSLR and decided to take lessons on photography from a close family friend
I ended up buying a 1200D with a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm kit lens and a regular tripod(getting a proper sturdier tripod soon,suggestions are very welcome :) :D ) thanks to some of our friends in the forums like sujoy,nac and a few more.
initially I started going to my terrace to take test shots and it wasnt much fun on Auto Mode and AF etc on,the pics were excellent in clarity but lacked a certain touch

then i started seeing more youtube videos,tips from friends etc and now I have kind of "mastered" using my dslr to its full extent and every scenario is a new adventure to manipulate light to take better shots
so i suggest a dslr to people who have a geniune love and interest for photography :)

raja manuel

In the zone
the guy to whome i sold my previous dslr knew nothing about photography and came to me to learn the auto modes
Then there is the opposite extreme who believe that if they have a DSLR every single photo should be taken only in manual mode because apparently not figuring out how to use Av and Tv is something to brag about.

Only thing he learned from me is how to take shots with background blurs. Using that he takes shots that have such a blurred background that the shots end up giving you a headache.
Yeah, that is another pet peeve of mine. So many 'photographers' who get a cheap 50mm for portrait photography because of 'bokeh' without realising that
a) They are referring to depth of focus, not bokeh. Cheap lenses may not have nice bokeh even if their depth of focus is shallow
b) They get so lost in admiring the shallow depth of focus in their photos they overlook the distortion in the subject from using a 50mm focal length for portraiture
c) There are other ways of separating the subject from the background that could be more aesthetically pleasing for that particular scene

I think many people think of DSLRs as part of the same continuum as P&S, where usually you get better picture quality for the same effort when you put down more money. They are not aware that DSLRs are a different category of photographic equipment and you cannot progress from P&S to DSLRs and expect the same price = image quality logic to hold up.

There is nothing wrong in this lack of knowledge and I wouldn't care if they can afford to buy a camera that they will not use, but I see many not-very-affluent guys blowing big money on a camera that is wrong for them because they asked their friends who in turn encourage them to get a DSLR because it is not their money being wasted and they think if this guy gets a DSLR they will have nicer photos of themselves to get more likes on Facebook.

sujoyp

Grand Master
There is nothing wrong in this lack of knowledge and I wouldn't care if they can afford to buy a camera that they will not use, but I see many not-very-affluent guys blowing big money on a camera that is wrong for them because they asked their friends who in turn encourage them to get a DSLR because it is not their money being wasted and they think if this guy gets a DSLR they will have nicer photos of themselves to get more likes on Facebook.

And when I suggest superzooms to people nowdays they taunt me that you have a dslr then why not suggest a dslr at same price...there is no logic that if you are to spend 25k you should spend on DSLR only...if the person wont be spending any more money on camera in future its always good to get a superzoom ...he will be more happy with that

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ :+1:

Not being able to give much time for photography now and maybe in future too, I decided to get the FZ70 instead of an entry level DSLR.

eureka

Banned
You only need an SLR when you know what it is and what it is capable of doing. Before buying any camera though one should read a lot. The camera will help you to execute what you have read, but without the knowledge of lighting, ISO, aperture, focus etc it's meaningless to invest in any camera, let alone SLR.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
And when I suggest superzooms to people nowdays they taunt me that you have a dslr then why not suggest a dslr at same price...there is no logic that if you are to spend 25k you should spend on DSLR only...if the person wont be spending any more money on camera in future its always good to get a superzoom ...he will be more happy with that

what about an entry level dslr such as 1100D or 1200D or any nikon equavalent(Body only either way) with an 18-55mm or 50mm prime lens so that in future,if any issues are developed with the lens,its an easier fix or if the buyer develops an interest in photography later?
^^im just asking ha,not disagreeing with you , im no expert on point and shoot camera or fixed lens superzooms etc

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
but without the knowledge of lighting, ISO, aperture, focus etc it's meaningless to invest in any camera, let alone SLR.

Auto mode isn't that bad in most cameras.

what about an entry level dslr such as 1100D or 1200D or any nikon equavalent(Body only either way) with an 18-55mm or 50mm prime lens so that in future,if any issues are developed with the lens,its an easier fix or if the buyer develops an interest in photography later?
^^im just asking ha,not disagreeing with you , im no expert on point and shoot camera or fixed lens superzooms etc

Not that I want a DSLR, but I had the same question.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

This small line says it all

if the person wont be spending any more money on camera in future its always good to get a superzoom ...he will be more happy with that

the thing is, an investment in a DSLR is a pretty long term investment, you get gear for it according to use, and the gear is very specific to the kind of photography you want to do. Also, it is not that you buy a body and a couple of lenses at one time and then sit back and take photos, you will need to use a variety of lenses, filters, flash, lights, batteries, memory cards, reflectors, tripods, bags to carry around the gear... and so on. A DSLR is not very versatile, you can't just go from shooting a mountain to a bird to a flower with the same setup. Perhaps by that time you keep your lenses and get an upgraded body, or a second one so as not to keep switching the lenses. The total cost of all of this can be astronomical and is not usually justified unless the device some kind of returns on the investment, which is for professionals.

insaneYLN

In the zone
Learning Photography

as a photography enthusiast learn things slowly and deeply..

Sir, apart from the sticky threads within the Cameras and camcorders sub-forum, what/where else would you and the other photography veterans, suggest an avid novice such as myself, to look to/at?
:unsure: :pray: :reading:

As an enthusiast, I continue to enjoy taking photographs using, my Nikon Coolpix L120 point & shoot digital camera and the camera of my Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Android mobile phone.
:ashamed: :chinscratch: :blush:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Re: Learning Photography

the best Idea I follow is check flickr for the photographs you like...and see the exif details...try to replicate the pics ..try to shoot with those settings in same time..that will improve your photography.

Sir, apart from the sticky threads within the Cameras and camcorders sub-forum, what/where else would you and the other photography veterans, suggest an avid novice such as myself, to look to/at?
:unsure: :pray: :reading:

As an enthusiast, I continue to enjoy taking photographs using, my Nikon Coolpix L120 point & shoot digital camera and the camera of my Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Android mobile phone.
:ashamed: :chinscratch: :blush:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

the best Idea I follow is check flickr for the photographs you like...and see the exif details...try to replicate the pics ..try to shoot with those settings in same time..that will improve your photography.

interesting tip,will try this out myself! thanks :)

insaneYLN

In the zone

@sujoyp, thank you very much.
:thumbs: :toast:

Soumik

Padawan

I used to do this when i first bought my EPM1 camera. But once I got the GX7, with every control right at my finger tip, i feel the best way to learn is not trying to replicate others, but by trying to experiment yourself. Go out and get a scene to take photo of. Try changing different setting in A/S/M (depending on situation and target shot) mode, and don't stop there. Change ISO, white balance, EV, metering, etc. whatever your camera lets change at ease, and see how the results vary. Just have a basic understanding technically how they are related, and shoot at whim.
I just see the results on my screen while i change and take the pic when i like the results. Offcourse as someone shoots more, he/she will more or less have an idea of what needs to be changed to get the desired effect in different situations. :)

Top Bottom