Connecting two pcs to a single monitor(via 1 hdmi port)

quicky008

Technomancer
I'm thinking of buying the following monitor: Samsung LS24F350FHWXXL

The plan is to connect two pcs to it digitally,ie via its hdmi port.However this presents a bit of a problem as this monitor has just 1 hdmi input.

Therefore i was wondering is there any way i can connect two pcs to a monitor using a single hdmi port-then i chanced upon something called a hdmi switch,like the one shown here:

*www.amazon.in/Protokart-HDMI-switc...s=hdmi+switch&qid=1559510706&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Are these switches suited for the task described above?can they reliably connect multiple hdmi sources to a single display?Also does using such switches result in any degradation of image quality at all?

Since monitors with 2 or more hdmi ports are rather uncommon in this price range(~10k),it seems using a switch is the only possible way to get 2 pcs to work with a single display via hdmi.

Therefore please advise whether this would be doable or not,and if yes,what its possible setbacks might be,thanks.

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Should be good enough for your needs. Theoretically, there shouldn't be any loss of quality at all.
In worst case scenario, it is returnable so you should be alright.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than that,it is because of being a switcher.A switch just selectively allows a specific input to pass through so quality degradation is not an issue. Quality degradation occurs when you use a splitter which splits incoming input to split in multiple parts(either by processing or duplicating which also results in failure to playback any copy protected HD content usually found in original bluray discs & streaming services) to simultaneously drive 2 or more output sources(e.g.using a hdmi splitter to drive two different monitors using same pc).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for the inputs.

Today as i was pondering over which monitor to actually buy,i discovered that samsung has also introduced curved monitors within the same price range as the aforementioned flat monitors.

This is the one that caught my eye:

*www.amazon.in/Samsung-inch-68-6-Cu...AHA4WX2J9YM&psc=1&refRID=XZ5ANY762AHA4WX2J9YM

its a 27" curved monitor,the key difference being (apart from the fact that its curved)its a VA monitor, as opposed to the flat monitor which was a PLS type display.

However having no practical or hands on experience with any curved displays,i really have no idea of what pros and cons they might have.Are curved displays worth considering over regular flat displays?

I intend to use my monitor for work as well as for gaming-therefore which type of display will be better suited for my needs?

Also will a 27" monitor be difficult to work with,especially for usage scenarios where one needs to sit close to the monitor(such as while typing something )for long periods?Can it cause more eye strain as compared to a smaller sized monitor?

Do curved displays have any known issues that may make them unsuitable for long term usage?

Top Bottom