Blizzard games headed to Steam

Overwatch 2 will release on Steam on August 10, and Blizzard isn't going to stop there, promising that "a selection" of its other games will come to Steam in the future.
www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-steam-announcement/

This is a good read as well:
www.pcgamer.com/making-call-of-duty-a-battlenet-exclusive-was-a-resounding-failure-argues-microsoft/
"Activision's attempt to take PC digital sales of Call of Duty exclusive to its Battle.net platform was a resounding failure," reads part of the document. "Before 2018, Activision sold digital versions of PC Call of Duty titles on Valve's successful Steam platform. In 2018, Activision decided to take the game off of Steam and make it exclusively available on Battle.net—largely in an effort to attract users to, and grow, Activision's own platform. Battle.net's monthly active users ('MAUs') remained relatively flat during the period when it had exclusive access to digital sales of Call of Duty on PC, from 2018 through 2022."

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
It's the same reason why people stick to Whatsapp even when there are so many competing messaging platforms.

It's hard to move to another platform and also convince your friends to move there.

Though I am really surprised they decided to bring Overwatch, which was a BNet exclusive from the start, to Steam. I wonder if they will also bring Diablo and WoW.

bubusam13

Human
They are in iMessage mostly & people buy iPhones just for iMessage. This will never happen in India, but a lot of people like to show off here, so they even buy iPhone on EMI.
Rightly said. Even if people can't even set a a pimple thing like custom ringtone, they will buy iPhone. I was once surprised seeing sales girl in Reliance trends also using iPhone, thanks to easy EMIs. If really want to show off, one can buy the pro max :p

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Rightly said. Even if people can't even set a a pimple thing like custom ringtone, they will buy iPhone. I was once surprised seeing sales girl in Reliance trends also using iPhone, thanks to easy EMIs. If really want to show off, one can buy the pro max :p
My friend bought 11 pro max years ago on EMI, so there are those as well :p

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Let's get back on topic.

If you guys want to continue discussing iPhones this then please create a new thread or use one of the existing threads.

I think Microsoft has come to realize that you can make more money when you sell in a market that has more buyers. Considering that Steam is still the most popular storefront right now.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Sure, even EA realised it. Both are back to steam. I think Ubisoft has some exclusivity deal with EGS, but even they should get back to steam eventually.

3rd party game launchers have mostly been shit as well. Uplay was not good ubisoft connect is worse now.Origin was ok as well, but EA app is worse now. EGS is ok now but considering the money they have, I had expectations from them to make a good launcher, no such expectations anymore. Xbox app has improved over the past few years for sure.

Back in 2020, I paid ₹500 or so extra to get HZD on steam instead of EGS. I'm sure there are others like me as well. I need a very big discount to consider buying a game outside steam.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Back in 2020, I paid ₹500 or so extra to get HZD on steam instead of EGS. I'm sure there are others like me as well. I need a very big discount to consider buying a game outside steam.
Something like free? Honestly I only use EGS to claim free games, all the ones I paid for are in steam.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Technically EGS is doing the same thing the other companies were doing to build customer base on their own storefronts. But if EA, MS, Ubisoft and now Blizzard, etc. did not succeed, I don't see how EGS will. Even their poaching behaviour has reduced.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Technically EGS is doing the same thing the other companies were doing to build customer base on their own storefronts.
Oh, alright. I didn't witness the rise of steam myself so have no idea they did things like that too, when I started looking at online storefronts steam had already consolidated themselves. The only thing I know about is that they forced steam on HL:2 players.

I think Microsoft succeeded in a way, with gamepass

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I did not see the rise of Steam myself either. I joined around 2008 or so. Though in the beginning Steam was not really a store but just an automated mechanism to download their main games (Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, etc.) and patch them online. Later it's scope increased to sell games as well.

Since Steam was the first of it's kind, they didn't really need to give away free games, though they did give very heavy discounts which is what endeared them to gamers. Especially in places in India where full-price releases are very expensive.

Top Bottom