Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Unveiled; Deliveries To Commence From January 2020

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basically it means people will buy it. Also, is it now required for people to have license for electric scooter? I think before it wasn't required in India right?

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk
As per online info,One or more electric motor with power of less then 250W & Maximum speed of 25 kilometer per hour are the conditions required for an electric vehicle to not require RTO registration(& thus no number plate/license).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
All cars try to have a low center of gravity. Having battery pack under the chassis helps lowering the cog a lot, which helps with maneuverability & lowers chances of roll over. As I said, batteries are pretty heavy.

Weight helps with crashes as it will have higher momentum (mass*velocity), say it crashes with another car, its likely that the other car is lighter & will be pushed back. The empty frunk helps as well. Teslas are definitely built pretty well, but weight & low cog helps it appreciably as well.

Tesla and NHTSA Spar Over Tesla Safety Claims; They're Both Right
Are Small Cars Safe? | Edmunds

2019 Audi A4 weighs 1645kg Mercedes C300 weighing 1600kg vs Model 3 weighing 1611-1847kg. From what I know, usually top end models are tested. All 3 of them are priced similarly.
Bottomline Tesla is the king of EV's. That AP is just next level.

As per online info,One or more electric motor with power of less then 250W & Maximum speed of 25 kilometer per hour are the conditions required for an electric vehicle to not require RTO registration(& thus no number plate/license).
Only those small scooters in which you stand might fit that. People in California use it, they just carry it with them in metro & all. Rest of US has poor public transport. Its popular in China as well. India doesn't have proper footpaths for it (its either occupied by vendors or dirty or broken or simply doesn't exist).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
AFAIK number plate is required i.e. dto registration is mandatory.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Only those small scooters in which you stand might fit that. People in California use it, they just carry it with them in metro & all. Rest of US has poor public transport. Its popular in China as well. India doesn't have proper footpaths for it (its either occupied by vendors or dirty or broken or simply doesn't exist).
You are talking about these right? Scoot your commute! Here are the 9 best electric scooters on the market Why don't people simply walk? I mean these scooters are kinda made for the foothpaths only.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
These also don't need RTO registration but their increasing usage forced Delhi govt to make rules for them:
E-rickshaw volume in India to reach 1 million units by FY25 - ET Auto

AFAIK number plate is required i.e. dto registration is mandatory.
Only for those vehicles that comes under Motor Vehicle Act,e-rickshaw/cycles don't & as such don't need RTO registration/number plates etc.

You are talking about these right? Scoot your commute! Here are the 9 best electric scooters on the market Why don't people simply walk? I mean these scooters are kinda made for the foothpaths only.
Faster (~20-25km/h) & you don't get tired as easily. My friend uses it for last mile connectivity in California, his commute from metro station to work/home is about 10mins by walk. He uses a Xiaomi scooter.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
These also don't need RTO registration but their increasing usage forced Delhi govt to make rules for them:
E-rickshaw volume in India to reach 1 million units by FY25 - ET Auto

Only for those vehicles that comes under Motor Vehicle Act,e-rickshaw/cycles don't & as such don't need RTO registration/number plates etc.

But all e-rickshaws have number plates in my city. How do they differentiate between them?

Faster (~20-25km/h) & you don't get tired as easily. My friend uses it for last mile connectivity in California, his commute from metro station to work/home is about 10mins by walk. He uses a Xiaomi scooter.
Still brisk walk is better, to each its own.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do the e-rickshaws in your city look like this:
Curb cartelisation of e-rickshaws, say Delhi operators
The decision to register battery rickshaws under the Act was taken following a study by environment body TERI. The study found that most of these vehicles operating in Delhi use an engine powered by over 250 watt batteries and exceed the speed limit of 25kmph for non-motorised vehicles, officials added.

Top Bottom