24/7 Torrentbox

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Get a Class 10 as least, the price is few less, try to get the Strontium 400x one, it very good tho normal class 10 would do. Or you'll suffer from good enough lag. Imagine using your PC on a 500RPM drive.

If you are downloading high amounts of data, get a USB Hub with external poeer supply and use it to power a HDD and download directly to it.

iSLaND

Broken In
In a similar situation as OP:
Considering following options:

1. Micromax phone with gone touch panel (Display is fine). I will have to use OTG mouse for using it. But I doubt phone can last for 1yr. May be it will just blast one day :p
2. Router with torrent download capabilities - which one will be the cheapest?
3. RPi is unknown to me.

I have a local cable cum broadband provider with dial to connect broadband.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
In a similar situation as OP:
Considering following options:

1. Micromax phone with gone touch panel (Display is fine). I will have to use OTG mouse for using it. But I doubt phone can last for 1yr. May be it will just blast one day :p
2. Router with torrent download capabilities - which one will be the cheapest?
3. RPi is unknown to me.

I have a local cable cum broadband provider with dial to connect broadband.

First give the phone a try. If it doesn't work as expected then go for pi. I have no experience with download capable routers. I read somewhere that the download speed is not good and not suitable for downloading big files. That is why I settled for Pi instead of router.

Rajesh345

Youngling
First give the phone a try. If it doesn't work as expected then go for pi. I have no experience with download capable routers. I read somewhere that the download speed is not good and not suitable for downloading big files. That is why I settled for Pi instead of router.

Not true, I am using Asus n13ub1 with putty and transmission, I have no issue downloading big torrent file to USB bus powered ext hdd
Currently downloading 45gb file

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Is it hard to configure torrent client on pi ? Last time when I installed linux (rhel) ,I accidentally formatted my hdd !

iSLaND

Broken In
Having second thoughts after looking at power consumption of laptops:

*www.bijlibachao.com/appliances/laptop-and-desktop-energy-comparison.html

Laptop uses maximum 100 units / year = roughly 6-700 rs depending on your unit price. Per year.

Though hardware may get damaged early on 24x7 use.

Also, heard a lot of good reviews about MK808B Plus Android Stick now with H.265 decoder - can double up as media player. Just download and play while connected to TV no need of any other device.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Having second thoughts after looking at power consumption of laptops:

*www.bijlibachao.com/appliances/laptop-and-desktop-energy-comparison.html

Laptop uses maximum 100 units / year = roughly 6-700 rs depending on your unit price. Per year.

Though hardware may get damaged early on 24x7 use.

Also, heard a lot of good reviews about MK808B Plus Android Stick now with H.265 decoder - can double up as media player. Just download and play while connected to TV no need of any other device.

I guess MK808B is based on RK3066, better go for latest RK3188 or RK3288 based mini pc..

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Not true, I am using Asus n13ub1 with putty and transmission, I have no issue downloading big torrent file to USB bus powered ext hdd
Currently downloading 45gb file

Thanks. As I said before, I have no experience with such routers.

Is it hard to configure torrent client on pi ? Last time when I installed linux (rhel) ,I accidentally formatted my hdd !

It is easy to configure clients in pi.

OP
aytus

aytus

The Boss
Hey Guys, Got my Raspberry Pi 2. Got it up and running , only one issue. The 3.5mm to RCA cable that i ordered is not working :(. So, not able to use it with my TV, as i only have RCA in on this oldie. Currently running it in headless mode only. Does anyone knows of any seller or ebay or elsewhere whose cable is guaranteed to work? I dont want to spend another 200 bucks for hit and trial .. :). Thanks.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
congrats! i think requests for a brief review will be coming your way (and, why not?!). ;)

Last edited:

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Guys, Got my Raspberry Pi 2. Got it up and running , only one issue. The 3.5mm to RCA cable that i ordered is not working :(. So, not able to use it with my TV, as i only have RCA in on this oldie. Currently running it in headless mode only. Does anyone knows of any seller or ebay or elsewhere whose cable is guaranteed to work? I dont want to spend another 200 bucks for hit and trial .. :). Thanks.

There are lots of such cables in ebay. I will suggest a branded one like this Buy MX 4 POLE EP STEREO PLUG 3.5MM TO 3 RCA COMPONENT CABLE FEMALE CABLE - 0.17MM - MX 3427 Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in . MX is a very good brand for audio connectors.

Knight2A4

In the zone
Just posting for anyone who comes looking for a tutorial on RESBERRY PI torrent box

How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into an Always-On BitTorrent Box

About using phone currently am using Htc explorer+64 gb sd card to download torrent using WiFi.

Top Bottom