Truecrypt Drive Encryption and data integrity after power failure

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I am going to use TrueCrypt to encrypt a full back up pen drive.
I shall mount it when required and run backup script so that data from HDD will be backed up on encrypted pen drive.

This shall not be a file container but rather the full volume say J: shall be encrypted.

Does anyone know what would happen to this mounted volume if there's sudden power failure?
Right now I don't have UPS.

Will I lose the entire volume or only the file being copied when power failure occurred?
Thanks.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all,Truecrypt has been abandoned 3 years ago,you can try Veracrypt.
TrueCrypt
VeraCrypt - Free Open source disk encryption with strong security for the Paranoid
There is no guarantee what will happen though most online comments suggest that only the open files lose any edits in progress.Also for full drive encryption taking backup of volume header is strongly recommended.
VeraCrypt - Documentation

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes I am aware that Truecrypt is abandoned. I really don't have any great security need. A very basic password based encryption is sufficient.
I won't be opening any files usually, just copy bulk of files from HDD to pen drive. I guess I will first create a dummy setup and by disconnecting pen drive physically that may closely resemble power failure, and test what happens when bulk of files are copied.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I have an hdd partition encrypted with truecrypt and have encountered a couple of power failures, but the encrypted partition and the files in it were not affected. Can't say about pendrive though.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
True Crypt developers left a note which suggests that something was not ethically right the way it was working on your PC. It was a very vague, old message. VeraCrypt is more suggested these days.

Top Bottom