yum update error.... :( pls help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
i tried to install yum, and also configured proxy, but when i try to run it, i get this error. pls help me with this. ihave tried to the fullest possible.

Code:
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlDictCleanup

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
[GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  *wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

/legolas

Satissh S

Youngling
Yes.. yum is written in python and is for rpm what apt is for deb.. though not quite as traditional.. You can use apt with rpm though.. This is what suse users have been doin for years..

praka123

left this forum longback
apt4rpm exists and U can d/l for RH or Fedora from dags.wieers.com or atrpms.net or any..u can also try synaptic in fedora from these sites..

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
i am not able to configure stil after installing libxml2-pyth* .... any1 have encountered this prbs before??? :(

/legolas

eddie

El mooooo
execute the following commands and post the output
rpm -q python
rpm -q libxml2-python

Also where did you get the RPM of Yum from? Did you make sure that they are for Fedora and not for mandrake or some other rpm based distro?

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
hi,

here is the output. and i downloaded from the yum home page for FC4...

Code:
bash-3.00$ rpm -q python
python-2.4.1-2
bash-3.00$ rpm -q libxml2-python
libxml2-python-2.6.19-1
libxml2-python-2.4.19-4
bash-3.00$

/legolas

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
i think ur problem is conflict between 2 versions of libxml2-python. try uninstalling 2.6, if not having any dependancy problems.

eddie

El mooooo
desertwind said:
i think ur problem is conflict between 2 versions of libxml2-python. try uninstalling 2.6, if not having any dependancy problems.
Yes the problem is the conflict between 2 versions but the version to uninstall is 2.4 and not 2.6. 2.6 series is the latest version of libxml2 bindings and looking at the installed python version that is what he needs. iirc 2.4 version was used by RedHat while he seems to be using Fedora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom