You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I order food home these days. Good to see that many restaurants are adopting contact free delivery. However, the society where I live have a new policy of disallowing delivery guys into the premises, so I have to go to the gate to collect the items.

Main thing is that we just need to ensure that we wash our hands after touching anything coming from outside the house. We are not really at risk unless someone infected coughs or sneezes on us.

icebags

Technomancer
# please wash your hands with soap frequently, for about 20 second duration.
# avoid touching eyes, nose, mouth, lips, ears before washing hands with soap.
# keep a hand sanitizer with you. use it after touching/using public handlebars or anything public.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Look at this once:

This is not unreasonable for a novel virus. The current timeline is something like this,

• 1-13 November 2019 first human infection, by some pangolin/bat in Wuhan, Wet market connection still unknown.
  • 17 November 2019, first human started showing symptoms but went unnoticed due mild symptoms. (up to 14 days incubation)
  • 1 December 2019, first confirmed case started experiencing symptoms. With no connection to wet market. (after up to 14 days incubation)
  • 9 December 2019, first confirmed case actually goes to the hospital (after 8 days), diagnosed with pneumonia.
  • 14 December 2019, after no improvements with 5 days of the regular antibiotic treatment for pneumonia, more tests are run. 6 other cases fit the same unknown profile.
  • 21 December 2019, all tests come back negative and it's identified as "pneumonia of an unknown cause"
  • 24 December 2019, sample is collected for genetic sequencing
  • 26 December 2019, a laboratory confirms that the sample is very genetically similar to a SARS-like coronavirus.
  • 27 December 2019, genetic sequence is shared with some chinese universities for studying.
  • 29 December 2019, an investigation into the wet market started and samples were taken & tested.
  • 30 December 2019, Dr. Li Wenliang and a handful of doctors from a Wuhan hospital shared via a WeChat group that seven people had tested positive for SARS, "CST 17:43, Dec 30 2019; Li: There are 7 confirmed cases of SARS at Huanan Seafood Market; Li: (Picture of diagnosis report); Li: (Video of CT scan results)"
  • 30 December 2019 (still), Wuhan reported to the World Health Organization, WHO that 27 people were infected with viral pneumonia of unknown cause and made a public announcement about it. Early investigations ruled out seasonal flu, SARS, MERS and bird flu. (In retrospect we know of at least 266 people infected at this time)
  • 3 January 2020, Scientist had determined the full genetic sequence and named the virus '2019-nCoV', director of the American CDC, Dr. Robert Redfield was in discussion with the Chinese about the virus (made public 20 March

)
    • 3 January - 7 January 2020, Heavy state censorship of all mention of the virus. rumors of human to human transmission. Dr. Li Wenliang was arrested by the local police for spreading rumors and misinformation, he died from COVID-19, 1 month later.
    • 8 January 2020, Scientists in China announced the discovery of a new coronavirus.
    • 9 January 2020, WHO confirmed that the novel coronavirus had been isolated from one person who had been hospitalised, in total there was 41 patients.
    • 10 January 2020, full gene sequencing data of the virus was published to the international community.
    • 14 January 2020, WHO tweeted there was no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission

• 20 January 2020, human-to-human transmission was confirmed by chinese officials. First spread outside China, which the WHO said was deeply concerning and could signal evidence of a much larger outbreak.
    • 22 January 2020, 571 confirmed cases and 17 deaths. A quarantine of the greater Wuhan, China area is announced and will begin on 23 Jan with no traffic in or out allowed.
    • Pandemic is now in full swing.

Source: Italian virologist research on virus genome by Massimo Galli, head of Sacco Hospital, Milan: Lodi cluster came from China via Germany: other clusters directly from China. The virus jumped from animal to human around 23rd October 2019 according to the virus genome analysis and its mutations. : Coronavirus

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
All shops in my neighbourhood closed. No food available anywhere.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Great video. Shared it among the 'whatspp group'. Great advice to turn off whatsapp in the first place.
And now the title of this thread makes more sense.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Man this is even more scarier than I thought. Falls in line with a shower thought I was having lately: If there is no vaccine in the next 1-2 months, by end of this year all of us will be infected.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Man this is even more scarier than I thought. Falls in line with a shower thought I was having lately: If there is no vaccine in the next 1-2 months, by end of this year all of us will be infected.
Exactly. Goal of lockdown is not to contain the virus, cause that is impossible.
Goal of lockdown is to flatten the curve. And for those who don't understand it means, to spread out the cases evenly, so that their is less strain on hospitals and medical staffs.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There will be no vaccine even in next 10-12 months,human drug trials take a long time because a defective vaccine can be more damaging than the disease itself.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Exactly. Goal of lockdown is not to contain the virus, cause that is impossible.
Goal of lockdown is to flatten the curve. And for those who don't understand it means, to spread out the cases evenly, so that their is less strain on hospitals and medical staffs.
How has China kinda slowed it down then? No new cases from the past few days.

There will be no vaccine even in next 10-12 months,human drug trials take a long time because a defective vaccine can be more damaging than the disease itself.
US has started a trial plus they are going ahead with some medicine starting with C, Trump and Musk are betting on it. I have no idea whether it will work or not.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How was China kinda slowed it down then? No new cases from the past few days.

US has started a trial plus they are going ahead with some medicine starting with C, Trump and Musk are betting on it. I have no idea whether it will work or not.
>China
>No new cases

How do you think? They cooked the numbers, or rather it's very likely they did.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom