1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Yahoo Archive Problem

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by Him007, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Him007

Him007 New Member

Hi,
    I generally use Yahoo messenger to communicate to my office staff, that's why I enabled archive option to save all of my messages.
    But yesterday I checked in program files folder that all the Archive has been creating in the .dat format.
    Is it secure or not? may be in my absence somebody will try to read all of my conversations?
    Suggest me
    Regards,
    Himanshu

2. royal

royal New Member

generally one has to login to yahoo messenger to read the archive but there are softwares out there which can read archive messages without login 8) they only need the.dat files stored in the computer :cry: so I guess your messages are not realy safe :twisted:

3. eddie

eddie El mooooo

If you want to be completely sure that no one can read your logs, it is better to encrypt them regularly and delete the unencrypted files. When ever you need to read them...decrypt. No other solution that I can see is available.

4. Nimda

Nimda l33t n00b!

Reading your archived conversations is a piece of cake once you have the required tool - and it's very easy to find it too, thanx to google. A solution would be to use an alternate IM manager like Trillian or Gaim, but AFAIK, Trillian because it stores conversations in plain text format. lol. So try out a few other IM tools and see if they work.

Otherwise, follow eddie's advice and go for the encrypt and remove routine.

5. OP
    OP
    Him007

Him007 New Member

any other suggestion........ if somebody can read that file, so plz tell me that s/w.

6. champ_rock

champ_rock champ_rock

Somewhere on the earth , near the equator
    i think that copying ur important conversations to txt file...... then to a zip file and then encrypting it is a much better option....

also, if posible, gmail chat stores the conversations in your account itself.. u can try that out too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.