xvid support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
isnt xvid an opensource project?then y dont linux distro's come bundled with its support like ogg and vorbis?

freebird

Debian Rocks!
xvid is well supported.ffmpeg is the pkg u want to install for better support for these knida codecs.gstreamer-plugins are also available.make sure xvidtune,libxvidcore installed.make sure have mplayer,VLC player,xine etc installed.even totem-xine is nice.i am answering by looking on a debian/ubuntu machine.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
dude i think u misunderstood me....my question was y it doesnt come bundled with it(pre installed)?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. AFAIK, even fiesty does not support xvid out of the box.. If a user attempt to play a file whose codec is not installed, fiesty prompts the user to download it :)

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
The reason for no out of the box support for Xvid is because some features of Xvid are covered by software patents. Xvid 1.x will be completely under GPL and hopefully supported out of the box by all distros.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
romeo_8693 said:
isnt xvid an opensource project?then y dont linux distro's come bundled with its support like ogg and vorbis?
ya, its right! xvid x.264 etc are open source projects. They should be bundeled with every linux distro, and if mandriva can give us full multimedia support then why can't other distros?? I mean to say that how does mandriva give us full multimedia support and other distros can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom