xp wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

amey_dude

Journeyman
I have windows xp installed on my laptop. My laptop dont have a working cdrom. Still i managed to install ubuntu using usb drive. Now i deleted the ubuntu partition in acronis partition manger. But the problem is now i cant boot into windows. I am getting disk i/o error. plz help as soon as possible.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I think your Boot.ini has been corrupted.
try these methods:
*www.techhunt.org/node/41

I know few more methods..but you need to boot from windows XP CD. At last you can restore your laptop to factory default using restore CDs.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ur best bet right now wouldbe to re-install linux and boot into it and then maybe thru linux's boot manager u will have the option to boot into windows if not u still might be able to make changes to the boot.ini file

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
by installing linux uwill be able to access files on windows drive so u will be able to change boot.ini :)

casanova

The Frozen Nova
You can copy boot.ini from a friends pc on your pen drive. Copy bootable files in a pen drive and replace the existing boot.ini on your system

I think what imav is saying is right. Your best bet without a cdrom is to reinstall linux, that'll replace the boot loader with grub. I think all other folders except the boot folder on the linux partition can be removed. Also you can then use a free ext3 filesystem driver for windows which are available free of charge on the internet (afaik one is on *www.sourceforge.net)to access this partition from windows and use it. This can be a temporary solution for you untill you get a working cdrom drive.

legolas

Padawan
casanova... I dont think it wud work, coz the system would be spitting "grub error" ?? becoz he formatted linux.

as Imav, and krazy_ pointed out, install linux again, but even during installation, if it selects detects and adds other OS automatically, you are lucky. then you can work on both.

alternatively, after installing and booting into windows, u can format from within windows, IF you could find a software to fix the boot from with in windows after ur formatting (i doubt it though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom