Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitall Charisma

My PC Configuration is as follows:~
Intel P4 2.8Ghz; Intel D865GBF MotherBoard; 512MB DDR RAM;

Software Config:~
Hard Drives: C(NTFS), D(NTFS), E, F(NTFS), G, H
I have Windows 2000 on C Drive and Windows XP on D Drive. On November 19 evening, I installed Shareaza 2.2. Later at night I also used it. Till night everything was absolutely fine. When today I started my PC at 11.30 am and chose XP at the boot screen it said the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System
On pressing enter it rebooted and I am currently working through Windows 2000. Someone please help me immediately to recover from this problem as all my day-to-day work is concentrated on Win XP.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
have u tried the usual commands, that is booting in safemode??

try to boot in safe mode... then try to RUN chkdsk & sfc /scannow....

if u cant boot in safemode... then try booting from the windows XP cd & try the recovry.... there u can also try avobe commands...

post back...

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

Yeah I've tried safe mode and everything else on the advanced startup menu[on pressing F8] but nothing can seem to start XP.

Win XP bootable CD:~
1. On pressing F2 to run Automated System Recovery it asks for Automated Recovery disk. But I've a damaged floppy drive neither the disk.

2. Recovery Console gives two options as to what installation to repair
1. C:\Winnt
2. D:\Windows

I pressed 2 for XP but nothing happens. If you know what to do that is to say what file to send send it to me at my yahoo mail(digitreader@yahoo.co.in). Thanx and do reply soon.

ishaan

Padawan
see which file is missing and download it. then boot up in win 2000 and transfer the missing file to where its supposed 2 b and try agn.

if that dont work, reinstall XP ovr the old XP it should work then n u wont lose data...but ud hafta reinstall all ur drivers n stuff if u do this

thadhanihemant

Journeyman
press f8 at the os selection menu
and try to boot windows in the "Last Known Good Configuration"
this might help u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

I am trying

May be what saurav_cheeta says will work. I got to try it.
As for ishan, I mentioned the file missing is"D:\Windows\system32\config\system". Here 'system' is the name of the file.

For now, I can only convey my thanks to you all for giving me these suggestions. Hope they work. Let's do it.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Digitall Charisma said:
As for ishan, I mentioned the file missing is"D:\Windows\system32\config\system". Here 'system' is the name of the file.

well a file should have a extaintion... without one... means its an directory... so System should have a .xxx extention (if its a file)... other ways... it would be treated as directory...

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
System file has no extension. It stores the System Registry hive.
How to get it back:
*swatrant.blogspot.com/2005/11/windows-could-not-start-because_17.html

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

I think both of u ishan and swatkat may have hit the jackpot. Your solutions sound more sound. Give some time will ya

Keep posting & thanx again

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

:( :cry:
You'll made my dream come true but snatched it away just when it was going to reach its climax. Out of my six partitions 3 are NTFS and C, D, F just happened to be those very three. Whenever I try to access "D:\System Volume Information" it says "Access is denied". Just help me on this verge please will you fellows? I am 99999*very close to finishing it, Pleeeeeeease help me

Digitall Charisma

swatkat

Technomancer
Hi,
I think you dont have SP1 (or SP2) for your XP. Because, in older (non SP1 and SP2) XP, the access to System Volume Information folder through the Recovery Console was not possible.

For, this you have to create a Bootup Floppy Disk (Startup Disk) and then access that folder and copy those files.

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

swatkat said:
Hi,
I think you dont have SP1 (or SP2) for your XP. Because, in older (non SP1 and SP2) XP, the access to System Volume Information folder through the Recovery Console was not possible.

For, this you have to create a Bootup Floppy Disk (Startup Disk) and then access that folder and copy those files.

No I do have applied SP1 and SP2 on Windows XP and WIN 2000. Still even if bootup floppy is required tell me how to do it through Win2K.
Thanx & do write back.

Digitall Charisma

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

Hey swatkat, I think I have almost done it. I only need access to the "System Volume Informaiton folder on an NTFS partition" for getting the required file. In other words I probably need an Explorer-like software to get to it regardless of the partition being NTFS. Can anybody name one such software???

Answer Awaiting,
Digitall Charsma...

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

THANK YOU!!!

:D :) :) :) :) :D
:lol: :wink:

THANK YOU EVERYBODY
This is Digitall Charisma. Since the day this had occurred and I posted this topic, I hadn't been able able to sleep soundly. By and by I asked some it nerds, my assembler and time to time checked for your replies.
Needless to say, it is no one else's but your extremely valuable suggestions which finally got me through. Yes as I type this out and post this topic, I'd like to announce that I'm doing this through good, old XP. Only question is that XP is said to be the best desktop windows around but why couldn't it save itself from its own fault.

Anyway, I cannot put my mirth & ecstacy into words. I am bursting to the hilt with victory(at last!). Before I leave to celebrate, I want to convey my heartfelt thanks to everyone of you who made it possible and even to those who gave this post a look & tried. Special thanks to swatkat and ishaan for giving me those very essential links. You guys have taught me what the Digit Community is all about. You taught me to be responsible. If anyone henceforth faces any problems, rest assured "yours truly" will be there to help you out if he can do anything about it. I may be a "Analogue Novice" here but now I proudly say I have learned a lot.

Do write back co-digiters. Till then Bye,

Digitall Charisma

OP
D

Digitall Charisma

The Solution

:D
To my fellow digiters(digit readers) who may encounter such a problem here is my solution. At least, what I had to do to get things up& running.
[IMPORTANT: Please do note my configuration and settings and most importantly that I had a Dual-Boot machine. You can find my configuration at the top of this post. It is advisable that you read the entire post because these are critical issues that are being dealt with]
The steps taken towards restoring Windows XP to its former healthy state are as follows:--
1. I started Backup through accessories.
2. I backed up the System Volume Information Folder and even selected its subfolders. In Backup no file is hidden, everything is visible. The backed-up file was saved on G:\
3. I then ‘restored’(the term in back-up which corresponds to ‘extract’ in Winzip) the back-up file to a ‘single folder’(the option available in back-up out of three) in G:\ in a folder named ‘WinXPRestore’ (The folder name does not matter).
4. Here I got the required file “Registry_Machine_System�.
5. I created a temporary folder in this drive for safekeeping of these files while moving. Both the “Registry_Machine_System� and “System� files’ original copy were kept here for safety.
6. In ‘D:\Windows\System32\Config’ folder, I copied the “Registry_Machine_System� file. Then I deleted the file named “System�(These are still now in recycle bin for safety).
7. The “Registry_Machine_System� file was renamed as “System�.

All set & ready to go, I booted the machine(all the while saying prayers). I pressed Enter at the OS choose prompt. 1…2…3..It displayed in its usual aura “Windows XP�. The blue bar animation started and XP booted up. We were back in the game. And that’s how the story starts, Yet Again…

:D
Yours Truly,
Digitall Charisma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom