XP trouble...help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
ok, i was helping my roommate speed up his computer by removing programs frm the start up list in msconfig....but after we restarted, the computer was crawling....i undid all the changes....didnt help....i also tried system restore a few times but 2 no avail....what could the prob b? and remedies???? need replies asap!!!!

busyanuj

In the zone
Nemesis said:
ok, i was helping my roommate speed up his computer by removing programs frm the start up list in msconfig....but after we restarted, the computer was crawling....i undid all the changes....didnt help....i also tried system restore a few times but 2 no avail....what could the prob b? and remedies???? need replies asap!!!!

tell him to run chkdsk on his hard drive and then defragment it.
additionally, remove all unnecessary softwares from the taskbar.
it should help.

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
guys....ive already done defrag and chkdsk....and the problem started when i tried 2 remove the unnecessary stuff...and the problem is that his computer doesnt work even after restoring it and stuff...

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
which antivirus was instaleed... NAV and McAfee creats problem in this kinda things...

try one thing...

*sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

this website contains huge list of all start-up items...

if u remember what what things u disabled then we can tell ya some details...

if u can run in safe mode then also scan for spyware....

and if tht PC supports DEP then disable it... sometimes in certain conditions this also creates problem (i heard but not sure as i never had problem with DEP)

to do this

open boot.ini

and chage the /fast detect /NoExecute=OptIn

to only

/fastdetect

all the best...

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
sorry 4 not replying earlier. but my roomie's computer seems 2 b working fine now. if there is a problem, i will post it up again...thanx 4 the help guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom