xp bootup failure-even after reinstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_jay

Broken In
i have windows xp+sp2.the problem is that whenever i restart my system the err"DISK BOOT FAILURE,ENTER SYSTEM DISK".i tried reinstalling windows but no effect.then i insert the xp cd and press enter,it is ok.what might be the problem.
system config-amd athlon xp,1.3ghz+256mb ram+40gb hd

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
jay_jay said:
i have windows xp+sp2.the problem is that whenever i restart my system the err"DISK BOOT FAILURE,ENTER SYSTEM DISK".i tried reinstalling windows but no effect.then i insert the xp cd and press enter,it is ok.what might be the problem.

The system has attempted to find a drive to boot the operating system, but has failed .The system cannot start up because there is no operating system for it to load.
1> how old is ur HDD??

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
1. Check the boot sequence in BIOS.
2. Boot into recovey console and check if your Win XP partition is set as the active partition. If not set it to the active partition

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
if your HDD is dead or with a lot of bad sectors, then you should repair it or change it..... And make sure BIOS options are OK

OP
J

jay_jay

Broken In
hdd is 2004 model.boot seq=1.floppy;2.hdd;3.cd
did u mean software repairing (ie chkdsk) or repairing by vendor
how can i boot to 'recovery console'

does this cause becoz of a scratched xp cd????????????? can i try another os...

::cyborg::

In the zone
jay_jay said:

i think ur partition is not active. mark it active by using fdisk

mod-the-pc

Booting into recovery console

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

1. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

Source

OP
J

jay_jay

Broken In
i bootup and took recoveryconsole.then i execute that command "fixmbr"...no use ...same prblm

thiz problem is occuring when i turnoff my pc for some time and then starting it.once i boot into xp,there is no problem even if i restarts it.the problem is occuring after "turn off".

dinakaran

Broken In
Check whether u'r [FONT=&quot]Partition is active or not. To easy activate use [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Partition[/FONT]magic boot floopy/Disk.

mod-the-pc

jay_jay said:
how can i make it active.i donot find command named 'fdisk' in recovery console.
Its called "diskpart" in Win XP. You may have to do something like this

Code:
H:\>diskpart
Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565
Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: USWPCO02840

DISKPART>[B] LIST DISK[/B]
  Disk ###  Status      Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  ----------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online        56 GB      0 B

DISKPART> [B]SELECT Disk 0[/B]
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> [B]LIST PARTITION[/B]
  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary             56 GB    32 KB

DISKPART> [B]SELECT Partition 1[/B]
Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> [B]ACTIVE[/B]
DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART> [B]EXIT[/B]

OP
J

jay_jay

Broken In
:) atlast i have done it:)

frnz,i tried fdisk & made partition active.no use.i formatted by C drive and installed win98.same prblm...once again activate partition,and give the command SYS C:.ha ha i dont know what it means,i get thiz frm typing help in DOS.HuRraY.........now its 2 days..no prblm since now.Now i am going to take 1 more chance..upgrade it with XP :D

any way thankz frnz,only god.. sorry MICROSOFT knows what happened!!

surtoday

Right off the assembly line
jay_jay said:
re plug ur IDE cable and harddisk power cord it may solve your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom