XP activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Can the genuine XP that came along with laptop be used to install on a desktop (if it is removed from laptop)? How is the activation done in desktop system? The 25-digit product key provided along with the CD does not work. Any idea what to be done?

ubersoldat

Deadly Creature Me!
Hi,

Since u have mentioned that u have the genuine Xp, u must contact microsoft and solve this issue. I am telling this becos u have paid for the original xp even though it came preloaded with the system. Do u have the Original XP CD with hologram sticker and the product key sticker? If u dont have, then u might have very well been taken for a ride by ur laptop dealer.

Bye.
:cool: Any comments are welcome

Can the genuine XP that came along with laptop be used to install on a desktop (if it is removed from laptop)? How is the activation done in desktop system? The 25-digit product key provided along with the CD does not work. Any idea what to be done?

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I did some research myself on this issue. Microsoft intends to sell the licensed copy of XP for single machine (home users) only. When the laptop is sold with XP, the product is pre-activated. The hardware details of laptop is stored in windows/system32 as wpa.dbl, if XP is loaded on to a different system, it finds all or most the hardware different from the original. This will prompt the user to get license reactivated and get a new key. A key is unique to a machine, so a borrowed key will not work on geniune versions. User has to call microsoft and give them a long series of number and if they are convinced that XP is being loaded on single machine ONLY, they will issue an activation code. This is the only legal way out.

sakumar79

Technomancer
It depends on what license you have purchased for the XP... Is it a Retail version, OEM version, etc? If you read the license, you can find out whether the license is transferable from one computer to another or not...

Arun

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If it came bundled with your laptop it's OEM and the license of the OEM XP is not transferrable to another system. If they sold you a Box Pack with your laptop, with manual and all then yes, you can load it in your desktop.

let me tell you a final soln, if you don't get any, find a serial do the install, search for a file wpa_kill.exe in the nwt and you will know what to do... nothing is gonna happen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom