XP 64 + XP 32 LAN compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurius1

Broken In
I have two PCs. One is an AMD 32 and one is an AMD 64. I have Win XP Pro x64 (i.e.64 bit OS) and Win XP Pro (i.e 32 bit OS)installed on the latter. I have successfully configured my LAN to allow me to browse the contents of the other PC in each of the two PCs, when I am logged into a 32 bit OS on both PCs.

When I try to set up the network with my 64 bit OS, the network icon shows me "Connected XXX at 100.0 MB/s" on both PCs. I have enabled sharing on all partitions (drives) on both PCs. But I cannot see the other PC in my Workgroup computers (I could view both PCs in work group computers when I was in a 32 bit OS on both systems)

The tcp/IP settins on both 32 and 64 bit OSes are the same. I could even surf the net on the slave PC via my shared dialup internet connection on my master PC (the AMD 64 bit one)

SO, in a nutshell, is it possible to set up a LAN with a 64 bit OS and a 32 bit OS? Or am I doing something wrong?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Do you configured the both PC in the same work group ? like....HOME/MY_HOME or what ever......

otherwise the each pc stay under diffrent workgroup.

As much as i know there is no problem to build a network between a 32-bit and a 64 bit OS.....but i don't know if you have a gigabit lan in one machine and another is plain 10/100Mbps Lan.....

What you mean by TCP/IP is same ? you must assign two diffrent IP address for both machine in same subnet mask....Like ....
1st:-192.168.0.11 and for 2nd :- 192.168.0.12 ......Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 is the same for both.

Hope you did this thing correctly....Is the both machine Pinging succesfully?

Open My Network Place and type in the address bar

\\192.168.0.12 in the 1st PC

Or
\\192.168.0.11 in the 2nd PC
(The above Ip adreess is Example.....Change with that one which you actaually asign for your PC)

Hope it will works for you......

OP
T

taurius1

Broken In
Srry for takin so long to post back here.. I'd given up on my LAN problem. I've go ttwo ethernet ports on my 64 bit machine. one is a 1GB and the other is 100 MB. I'm using the 100 MBps link for my lan connection.

The workgroup is the same for both PCs. So I don't think that is the problem.

I've properly set up my LAN for my two 32 bit OSes. I've even got the network drive mapping done. But I am simply unable to do anything with my 64 bit OS! /swt

I'll be trying this again at the end of this month. I'll get back here then.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
taurius1 said:
I've go ttwo ethernet ports on my 64 bit machine. one is a 1GB and the other is 100 MB. I'm using the 100 MBps link for my lan connection.

Sorry to write again here......What is you mena 1 GB and 100 MB ???

It is not like that.....

the correct One 1Gbps=1000Mbps=Gigabit Lan....
it menas it can transfer 1 Gigabits/sec =1000 Megabits/sec

2nd one 100Mbps=Fast Ethernet
it means 100 Megabits /sec.....

MB=Mega Byte (expl, 700 MB CD)
Mb=Mega bits (expl, 10/100 Mbps Lan Card)

GB=Giga Byte (expl, 80 GB Hard Disk)
Gb=Giga bits (expl, 1Gbps Lan Card = 1000Mbps or Gigabit Lan)

All is the Diffrence between the 'B' and 'b'

Thats all..............

Sorry....providing the knowledge......

Now you might think...."Are itna Bhason mat jharoo yaar"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom