XFX 6600GT/DDR/256MB Or 6600GT/DDR3/128MB, Which one to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

puja399

In the zone
XFX sales two varieties of 6600GT cards, one is 128Mb, DDR3 cards and the other is 256Mb, DDR cards. Which one is better? I hear that DDR3 is faster, but would I require more RAM in future games?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Go for the 128 MB DDR3 card.

The things that matter most (in order) are:
Core speed
Memory speed
Pixel pipelines
Memory interface (128/256 bit)
Amount of memory
DirectX version/Shader model version/OpenGL version etc.
So go for DDR3 over DDR.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Also try for BIG brand. If ur budget permits, u can also go in for an extreme card from leadtek.

quad master

In the zone
Go for 6600GT GDDR3 Based 128MB.

Dont worry DDR3 with that freq will perform better than 256mb with DDR and allow you to play future games also.

Recommended brands BIG/Gainward/Gigabyte/Leadtek

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hmm...AFAIK XFX does have a 6600Gt with 256MB DDR3 based card in its stock.Here check this out *www.rptechindia.com/rashib2c/ProductdisplayRP00.asp?Productid=PV-T43A-UDF7 and this is regarding the AGP make and not the PCI-Express.The PCI-E card just comes on DDR3 memory interface only in the 128Mb Vram version.

Anyways i reckon the 6600Gt with 128Mb Vram will easily be able to handle possibly all games right now at High resolutions and with sufficient amount of AA and Af enabled settings.The card will atleast last for a year and a half from now (Or possibly more) depending on how heavy the future games come out.

quad master

In the zone
Darky i have heard of 6600GT 256MB but having DDR mem not DDR3.

Check Gainward site it has a 6600GT with 256MB DDR mem.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
XFX sales two varieties of 6600GT cards, one is 128Mb, DDR3 cards and the other is 256Mb, DDR cards. Which one is better? I hear that DDR3 is faster, but would I require more RAM in future games?

there is a 256mb ver. of the 6600GT ... at stock both cards are clcoked the same .... 500/1000 ... but the 128mb having an advantage of dd3 mem. will oc' more than the 256mb ver.

check this link :
*www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=42&productId=94

wolfff

Broken In
I would recommend that u go in for the 256MB version of the card. Latest Games like BF2 really need that much memory. I have a FX5700Ultra with 128 MB of DDR3 memory. The link shows the benchmarks with 5700Ultra DDR3 and DDR2 cards... and u can see that the performance is pretty much the same. *www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv36_gddr3/index.php?p=5
So DDR or DDR3 wont make that much of a difference, go in for extra memory IMO.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
so u mean a ddr card performs almost on par like a ddr3 card ,, even if there is a huge difference in clock speeds ???

wolfff

Broken In
FYI DDR 400 Mhz is faster than DDR2 400MHZ... because of higher latencies. and DDR2 533Mhz is approx. same speed as DDR 400 Mhz.... this can be attributed to higher latencies that DDR2 operates at.... and DDR3 operates at even higher latencies than DDR2, hence a significant increase in clock speed is required to compensate for that.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
for your info. the ddr ram used in graphic cards are genrally timed over 2.8ns .. whereas the ddr3 ones are timed at 1.8 or 2.0ns ..... this pretty much compensates for any difference in latencies ... it even improves the performance ...

and since nvidia cards implement Lossless Z-Buffer compression .. a higher clocked ram will easily outperform a slower clocked ram when implemented with a similar performing gpu ....

this is the reason why a 450/950 clcoked FX5950XT (256bit mem.) is easily outperformed by a 500/1000 clocked 6600GT(128bit mem.) ......

cheap mem. modules are a bit high timed ... my friend recently brought two 512mb ddr533 corsair modules whose latencies were 3,3,3,6 ..... and ddr533 has much faster r2r turn-around time .. so there is quite a noticeable improve in performance ....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
256mb was for 14k when i had went

a number of factors contibute performance of card,who says the core etc are most important.

Now,a 6600gt is not a very good card for the future anyways though you might benefit by 256mb in some games especially newer ones,be carefull if the card is slower as of now due to different ram.Also,what you can do is take 6600gt 128mb now for abt 10k
sell it after a yr for abt 4k
now had the 6600gt 256mb been for 4k,you

8k + invest some money
get better card

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
ya! .. someday even the 6800U will cost 5k's .. so dont get it now .. put in some more and get somethng better ...
duh !!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
No advertising direct plz...

Go for the DDR 3 for better speed and buffer (Dump the MB as 128 is almost enough for high end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom