xandros 3.0 cd not detecting in boot process ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayneu

Journeyman
hi friends,
i am not a tech geek and i know very litttle about linux.i had installed xandros v2.0 on my old pc(p4) without a hitch....

but now, my problem is i have bought a new laptop dell inspiron 1505 with windows xp media centre edition preloaded with dual core 1.83ghz, 2gb ddr2 ram,256mb ati x1400 video card, 80gb sata hard disk @7200rpm with intel pro wireless card with dvd dual writer....

coming to my problem, ihad downloaded xandros 3.0 cd1&2 with a file size of 1.14gb.everything was ok till i burnt that iso file to cd....once i rebooted after selecting dvd drive as 1st bootable device. it didnt detect the xandros cd from the boot menu.....instead it booted into windows xp os.... i dont know what is the problem...

each and every file is ok, while downloading from the torrent also i didnt encounter any problem.... still i dont know what is the problem.....can any of my thinkdigit friends solve this?

i love linux always, especially xandros.....please help me guys in installing xandros onto my laptop as early as possible.....

i hope i have provided all information required to solve my problem by any tech geek.....hoping for a positive response from any one of them....

pls....pls....pls.... help me run xandros smoothly without a problem on my disk .....i am waiting....

sorry for eating ur head please...because i had downloaded it with much pain and wastage of time.....

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Can you give us the link where you downloaded your Xandros images from ?

It is quite possible that those Images were NOT of a bootable disk .

So , the CD that you have burnt those images on may not be a Bootable CD .

In that case the the Bootstrap program will ignore the CD even though it has been set as the "1st Boot Device" and will transfer the control to the current Bootloader ( which , in your case is the boot loader of Win XP ( NTLDR ) ) .

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You must burn the ISO image file using Nero choose "Burn as an Image", then only
the CD will be bootable!! If you had chosen burn as "Data CD" it won't boot!!

OP
mayneu

mayneu

Journeyman
ya, i downloaded it from meganova.org....... but one thing, there was not even a single complaint on that file, ofcourse i will select that kind of files only to download...

its a bootable cd i am sure, and its iso file. i saw the contents of it...there was a boot file in that.

coming to jguru's reply, i think i have made a mistake at that point. i have written that iso as a data,instaed as an image......

i will try it out and let u people know what happened finally...
as i am downloading anther file size from another site of xandros iso.....
anyway thanks a lot for ur valuable & intime suggestions....

keep it up guys.thats why i love thinkdigit forum better than any one....

once again thanks for ur reply...i will let u know what happened to my xandros tomorrow or if possible today....bye. take care..

ya finally, what jguru said was correct. thanks a million for u both....

everything was fine till it went to 2nd gui. i mean in initial xandros window there was no problem. once it started detecting hardware, it showed an error saying" hard disk drive not found: error 4000"

i didnt understand what is this problem......the only option there was exit....

now pls help me guys in installing this beautiful os....

waiting for ur response....

i also tried installing fedora core 3, but it didnt detect the drive in that also....

i dont know what is the problem.... i think i cannot install any linux on my laptop.... i think dell people have made something to my laptop....

can anyone pls solve my problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom