Wireless Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijitraja

Broken In
I have a Wireless Laptop and a Desktop PC running XP and Win 2000 respectively. They are connected through a Netgear Wifi Router with the following IPs assigned to them by DHCP dynamically.

Router 192.168.1.1
Laptop 192.168.1.2
PC 192.168.1.3

I wanna share files between them somehow i cannot do it. Both computers are pinging the other properly. When I c the network places on XP on my laptop i can c that laptop itself in the workgroup MsHome but in the Win2000 on the PC i am not able to establish anything like that. When i go to network places and click on Entire Network, it says unable to browse the network;The network is not present or not started.

In system properties->network identification the computer name shows and the workgroup as WORKGROUP. Here i cannot change this workgroup name as its grayed out i dont know why. Do i need to install some network component ?

My LAN Card only has TCP/IP installed. NetBUI etc.. are all uncheckd.

Please advise. I think it would be better if someone can take the pain and chat with me interactivly while i solve the problem. It would be much faster.

Run "Set up a home or small network" wizard (Control Panel > Networking) on all 3 PC's.

See that you have the same workgroup assigned to all PC's.

Tip: Give each PC a new name (anything) while running the wizard.

Cheers,
Keith

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
thanx keith but is the option "Set up a home or small network" there in Windows 2000 ? ANd as i said i am not able to change the Workgroup..

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
Keith Sebastian said:
Run "Set up a home or small network" wizard (Control Panel > Networking) on all 3 PC's.

See that you have the same workgroup assigned to all PC's.

Tip: Give each PC a new name (anything) while running the wizard.

Cheers,
Keith

I dont have a Control Panel > Networking in my WIn 2000. Now tell me what can i do.

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
In Control Panel -> System PRoperties -> Network Identification Tab -> PRoperties, the 'Member of' section is disabled(grayed). I am not able to change the workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom