wireless lan without access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

shovik

Banned
I and my friend want to share each others resources(ex-hard drives, etc., but not the internet connection). The problem is that the distance between two house is nearly 150mts and we want to setup a wireless lan. We can't lay wires because there are water bodies, etc. between the two houses.
I would like to know the followings:
1)is the connection possible without an access point i.e., in ad-hoc mode (p2p) ?
2)what will be the hardware requirements for the setup (such as USB adapters, bluetooth dongles, etc.) ?
3)most importantly our budget is a moderate 1500-2000.
4)will the reception be clear enough to work atleast at speed of 1mbps?

Friends there may have been many post on this kinda topic but please please consider my request and help me out.

digen

Youngling
Yes a adhoc network can be setup with the computers talking to each other directly instead of using a Access point.
You will need wireless NIC adapters on both the computers.Either a PCI Adapter or a USB one will do.

Check these for a start.

*snipurl.com/m2g7

*snipurl.com/m2gb

But IMHO your budget is a little less to get a couple of these.The wireless signal,throughput all depend on your environment conditions so I cant comment upon that.

OP
shovik

shovik

Banned
thanx

I really appreciate your effort but can suggest me the budget which I need to allot for this stting up the wireless lan without access point and also if I can share anything between the two computers except the internet.

digen

Youngling
Well I had got a couple of Linksys PCI Wireless adapters a long time back.They cost me 1.7k each.

By sharing you mean folders & all? Yes ad-hoc networks work pretty much the same a wired network works except that they are wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom