WinXP Problem: KernelFaultCheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenblue

Broken In
Hi Friends,

im using winxpsp2(autoupdated) with norton2005 all updated. Since past few days i am noticing a strange problem in my PC. Sometimes when i shut down the computer the normal way, it Restarts instead of Shutting down and then after that Scandisk begins to run while booting. I didnt set/schedule Scandisk to run. And normally the results of scandisk are ok....Also this doesnt happen all the time. Its happens sometimes on its own and sometimes the computer just shuts down properly. I couldnt figure out why this was happening. So i used MSCONFIG to look at Startup items. I have noticed that there is an entry which was not there before. Its details are as follows :

Startup item: dumprep 0 -k
Command: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

Can anyone tell me what it is? and is it because of this entry that scandisk begins to run on its own sometimes?...OR is it that my Hard disk is about to crash?...i hope not!!!... :?
Can I disable this entry or remove it or just keep it as it is?
help pls.
Thanks.

swatkat

Technomancer
Windows XP has an error reporting tool called "dumprep" which upon serious errors, creates memory dumps and creates logs. you can disable the error logging by doing this:-
Right My Computer and click Properties.
Click Adavanced Tab.
Here, clikc Settings button in StartUp and Recovery.
Here, in the "Write Debugging Information" section, set it to "None".

And, for the restarting instead of shutdown problem, take a look at these links:-
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299&Product=winxp
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311806

OP
Z

zenblue

Broken In
Thanks swatkat .. Can i disable its entry from msconfig or let it stay there as it is? if i disable Error Reporting from Services...will that help?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Yes.. You can remove the entry from Startup ...

To disable Error Reporting, do this thing :
Start > Run > Sysdm.cpl <Press Enter>
Click on Advanced Tab,
Click on Error Reporting button ..
Select "Disable Error Reporting"
Press Ok twice ...
You are done .. :p ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom